Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cezinho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I've been having a bizarre issue with macOS Catalina beta 4 (which started in beta 2, I believe).

1) I connect an external keyboard (latest gen wireless Magic Keyboard) to my MacBook Pro 2017
2) Within a minute or so, the OS automatically turns on Sticky Keys on the external keyboard (the MacBook keyboard works fine)
3) I toggle the Sticky Keys (click Shift 5 times to turn on even though they are on, 5 times to turn off > you can also do this in Accessibility > Keyboards)
4) The Sticky Keys reactivate after a few minutes, and sometimes after a dozen or so seconds

It use to be that toggling the Sticky Keys worked until I disconnected the external keyboard / walked out of Bluetooth range, but now the OS seems determined to have me type with the Option key turned on at periodic intervals:

ßå∂ƒßå∂ƒßøˆπ¨œ®˜…

Any ideas of a permanent fix?

I know this is beta software, but it's driving me nuts.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Are there any actual sticking keys on your Magic Keyboard?
You can quickly see that in your Keyboard Viewer.

cezinho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Are there any actual sticking keys on your Magic Keyboard?
You can quickly see that in your Keyboard Viewer.

It checked and it seems ok. Of course, when the Sticky Keys auto-activate, the keyboard changes the symbols to reflect that.

The keys of the external keyboard are also clean and don't seem to be physically sticking/pressing themselves.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 10.04.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 10.04.57 AM.png
    258.1 KB · Views: 261

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It checked and it seems ok. Of course, when the Sticky Keys auto-activate, the keyboard changes the symbols to reflect that.

The keys of the external keyboard are also clean and don't seem to be physically sticking/pressing themselves.
hmm... Why does your screen shot show that both Shift and Command keys are pressed?

cezinho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
hmm... Why does your screen shot show that both Shift and Command keys are pressed?

That's just me pressing those keys to get a screenshot.

Cmd + Shift + 4

The 4 is pressed only once, so disappears from the keyboard as the screenshot is being taken.
Cmd + Shift remain pressed.
When I'm not taking the screenshot, none of the keys are pressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeltaMac

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
I know it’s been a while but did you get to the bottom of this issue?

My other half is having this same problem on her Catalina iMac (not beta) - and the issue occurs with two different physical Apple keyboards - so it’s a software issue not hardware. It’s infuriating to have to keep turning sticky keys on and then off again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.