Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zyzz25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
hi guys
now that the homepod mini is released and the homepod is already 2 years old, do you think i should still buy the original homepod?
there are no rumors of a new homepod 2 and the price here is austria hasnt changed since release

hear in austria are nearly ever any deals and discounts on apple products...

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
IMO, I don’t see a HomePod 2 coming any time soon. The one we have now has a very very small smart speaker market share. Updating it will only increase the price which doesn’t help. However, I also think the Mini is also going to serve as a test run for Apple. They will undoubtedly move a lot of these units, especially at that price point. Apple may be using it to get people to get a taste for their speaker and may want to move on to bigger and better things, aka the HomePod. I think it will be at least another year before Apple even considers updating the HomePod. I also predict a rise in full size HomePod sales. How much is yet to be determined. The speaker itself is phenomenal and the new software features coming out have me excited (intercom, home theater, remembering last used as an ATV audio source, doorbell chime, etc). Life is short and the HomePod is a fantastic device. Pick one up and at the very least, if you don’t like it, you always have the power of returny. But what do I know.

Reactions: LeeW and zyzz25

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
hi guys
now that the homepod mini is released and the homepod is already 2 years old, do you think i should still buy the original homepod?
there are no rumors of a new homepod 2 and the price here is austria hasnt changed since release

hear in austria are nearly ever any deals and discounts on apple products...

Your decision most likely depends on how much of an audiophile you are. If you are an audiophile, then the HomePod is for you. I am pretty sure that the sound quality of the HomePod will still blow away the quality of the HomePod minis. Physics and hardware content make this so.

However, if you are simply looking for some decent quality smart home speakers then I would spend the money you would spend on one HomePod on 2-3 HomePod minis.

I don’t think we’ll see a HomePod 2 for some time, if ever.

Reactions: zyzz25

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
As others have said it depends on where you sit with audio quality, the Homepod is fantastic and even as someone who has no real appreciation of sound quality, I notice a very clear difference between the Homepod vs Echo and Google Home.

That is not to say I think the Echo/Home are bad just that the homepod is better. That said I have an Echo plus as I wasn't paying $300 for a smart speaker when a $100 one was just fine for my needs which are to play music in the background.

I will be jumping on the Mini though, I am sure it will equal the sound quality of the echo plus if not best it. For $99 it makes it far more attractive for the type of user I am and in fact having 2 will create more opportunities.

The success of the Mini will determine/drive when a new larger Homepod will come. Won't be soon though so if current version appeals that is what you should go for.

Reactions: zyzz25
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.