Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Last week I tried to download Mavericks but my wife decided to turn off the comp when it was 4GB done... After that I just couldn't download it... I thought maybe the servers are too overloaded... So last night I decided to download it finally... But, still no luck...

My internet is strong and working well... It click through the free download and install app buttons... It starts downloading and then everythign freezes up... a minute later it says "OSX Mavericks failed to download"... Under the purchases tab it says 'an error occured" in red next to the download button... Also, the download button is blank and unresponsive... Have searched on the apple forums but none of those steps are helpful... Most of them say it is not apple's problem but an ISP problem... Which I am sure it isn't... Please help...

p.s.: I checked 2 pages of this section but, did not find a similar thread... Sorry if this has been posted before...

Edit: This solved my problem...

"If that didn't help, try using another user account. If you don't have one, create one in System Preferences -> Users. Log in with the new account, open App Store, etc. You can remove the new account after the installation."

Last edited:

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
I remeber seeing this posted before, but could not find the thread either. So here's something you can try:

Open App Store, and go to Purchases. If Mavericks is listed there, refresh the list with Cmd + r, and click Download.

If that won't work, try the following:

If there is an 'Install OS X Mavericks' app with an opaque icon in your Applications folder, remove it, and make sure to empty the recycle bin. Then relaunch App Store, go to Purchases, refresh the list with Cmd + r, and click Download.

If that didn't help, try using another user account. If you don't have one, create one in System Preferences -> Users. Log in with the new account, open App Store, etc. You can remove the new account after the installation.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I remeber seeing this posted before, but could not find the thread either. So here's something you can try:

Open App Store, and go to Purchases. If Mavericks is listed there, refresh the list with Cmd + r, and click Download.

If that won't work, try the following:

If there is an 'Install OS X Mavericks' app with an opaque icon in your Applications folder, remove it, and make sure to empty the recycle bin. Then relaunch App Store, go to Purchases, refresh the list with Cmd + r, and click Download.

If that didn't help, try using another user account. If you don't have one, create one in System Preferences -> Users. Log in with the new account, open App Store, etc. You can remove the new account after the installation.

Thanks... Will try this and see if it works...

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011

This seems to be working... I didn't have to create an account, there are already three local accounts on the comp... Hopefully it finishes the download... And hopefully my mother or my wife do not close the lid... lol... I expect it to finish downloading in a couple of hours... Will check in the morning now... Thanks a ton bro... Good night...!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.