Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Many people had reposted similar problems with Mail on iPhone. However even with the latest iOS updates my problems still persist. Listing them here:

1) When viewing new mail and clicking the down arrow to get to the next new email, it shows each email twice. They are not listed twice in the inbox list, but if I'm in a new email and click down to get to the next new email it will show me the same email again. In other words, if I've opened up a new email and am clicking down through the rest of my new emails it will show me each one twice.

2) For some reason certain new emails do not appear right away in my inbox, however the do appear in the "Unread" folder. Once I view them in the unread folder they then appear in the inbox. I have not found a rhyme or reason why this is happening. It's usually around half of my new emails. The notification badge on mail will say 10 new emails. When I open Mail about 5 will be in the inbox (as well as the unread folder) and the other 5 will only be in the unread folder. This makes no sense since all new emails are coming to the inbox on my actual email account, evidenced by the fact that once I open them they then immediately appear in the inbox on my iphone.

3) It seems other problems I was having as well as many other people have been fixed, like needing to delete emails twice and sent messages appearing twice. But the above issues, which I always saw as related, persist. I've heard it is a Hotmail issue. None of these problems ever happened before iOS 13 and although updates fixed some things, other big issues remain.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
No. Please, not another thread about iOS 13 email. There is already an established one here:

That thread is overblown and has 1000 tangents of just people complaining about no one fixing their problems, most of which differ from mine. I prefer to start a fresh thread with my specific issues.

Mkraft3003

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2019
So you want your own special thread? All of your complaints are very common and mentioned in the other thread. if Each person started a fresh thread for their specific issues the site would be flooded with posts. I think there is a better chance of something getting noticed by Apple if everything was in one thread. But that’s my opinion so post away.

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
Many people had reposted similar problems with Mail on iPhone. However even with the latest iOS updates my problems still persist. Listing them here:

1) When viewing new mail and clicking the down arrow to get to the next new email, it shows each email twice. They are not listed twice in the inbox list, but if I'm in a new email and click down to get to the next new email it will show me the same email again. In other words, if I've opened up a new email and am clicking down through the rest of my new emails it will show me each one twice.

2) For some reason certain new emails do not appear right away in my inbox, however the do appear in the "Unread" folder. Once I view them in the unread folder they then appear in the inbox. I have not found a rhyme or reason why this is happening. It's usually around half of my new emails. The notification badge on mail will say 10 new emails. When I open Mail about 5 will be in the inbox (as well as the unread folder) and the other 5 will only be in the unread folder. This makes no sense since all new emails are coming to the inbox on my actual email account, evidenced by the fact that once I open them they then immediately appear in the inbox on my iphone.

3) It seems other problems I was having as well as many other people have been fixed, like needing to delete emails twice and sent messages appearing twice. But the above issues, which I always saw as related, persist. I've heard it is a Hotmail issue. None of these problems ever happened before iOS 13 and although updates fixed some things, other big issues remain.

I updated my iPhone to iOS 13.3.1 a couple of days ago and it appears the first issue has been fixed. After receiving new emails I’m able to click the arrow once when I’m in a new email and it’ll take me to the next email. ?

Edit: to add, this is on an @hotmail.com account.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I work for a fairly large international business, and our I.T. dept sent out a mass email the other day warning us that there are many known email problems with “Apple devices” and that they have isolated it to ”Apple’s software” and that Apple is aware and is “working on a fix.”

I tend to doubt our I.T. department had any direct communications with Apple about it, but it shows that email is a pretty well-known cluster**** on ios13.

Reactions: OdT22

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I work for a fairly large international business, and our I.T. dept sent out a mass email the other day warning us that there are many known email problems with “Apple devices” and that they have isolated it to ”Apple’s software” and that Apple is aware and is “working on a fix.”

I tend to doubt our I.T. department had any direct communications with Apple about it, but it shows that email is a pretty well-known cluster**** on ios13.

I'm curious about your corporations I.T. setup.

MDM/EMM managed iOS devices?
Exchange Online, internally hosted, or hybrid?
Is your corporation an MS shop?
If Exchange Online ... is your tennant E1, E3 or other license?

Are ALL iOS devices deployed owned by the corporation?
Are ALL iOS devices on the same version of iOS 13.x?

Are all employees using the same email client in Windows/macOS and if using Outlook are they on Outlook 2016 or MS Office for Office 365?

IF there are mixed variables then likely the issue may not be iOS Mail in ios 13 ... I've not had your issue thought.
I'm on Exchange Online with my company's tennant using O365. No MDM management and the only certificate is for Wi-Fi. when setting up the mailbox withn iOS I choose Exchange Online.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I'm curious about your corporations I.T. setup.

MDM/EMM managed iOS devices?
Exchange Online, internally hosted, or hybrid?
Is your corporation an MS shop?
If Exchange Online ... is your tennant E1, E3 or other license?

Are ALL iOS devices deployed owned by the corporation?
Are ALL iOS devices on the same version of iOS 13.x?

Are all employees using the same email client in Windows/macOS and if using Outlook are they on Outlook 2016 or MS Office for Office 365?

IF there are mixed variables then likely the issue may not be iOS Mail in ios 13 ... I've not had your issue thought.
I'm on Exchange Online with my company's tennant using O365. No MDM management and the only certificate is for Wi-Fi. when setting up the mailbox withn iOS I choose Exchange Online.
MDM, yes.
MS, yes
Exchange internally hosted
No devices owned by corp
Not all devices on same version
All employees using same windows outlook (2016)

They reportedly have ruled out anything to do with exchange or the MDM.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

mrwilly25

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015

What are the “known” issues?

I manage the MDM for corporate and personal devices, all accessing Office365 authenticated via Okta. No issues here.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

I manage the MDM for corporate and personal devices, all accessing Office365 authenticated via Okta. No issues here.

the specific ones they mentioned had to do with mail not updating (not updating the message list, etc.)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

there is a coming change for O365 this late summer in terms of going to “modern authentication” where Microsoft is really pushing for or “recommending” to use their client. I hope Magic iOS Mail will or already does support this new authentication in the future.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
It's a mess since the Mail app cant be updated separately so its going to require a whole iOS update

I want to say I saw some notice that Gmail was doing something similar/related with authentication upcoming or aliases. Changing the way it works. I cant remember what exactly.

Every one of these is going to require a whole OS update. That just makes no sense that they havent split the apps from the OS like Android has which they could update via the App Store as needed.

mrwilly25

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
there is a coming change for O365 this late summer in terms of going to “modern authentication” where Microsoft is really pushing for or “recommending” to use their client. I hope Magic iOS Mail will or already does support this new authentication in the future.

we already implemented the move to modern auth, this is taken care of through Okta and works with the Mail app.

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.