Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Ever since Apple got rid of iTunes and integrated iOS/iPad OS syncing into Finder, they neglected to add a simple progress bar when transferring files over. Even in Big Sur there is STILL no progress bar for when you drag files over to my iPad, so I have no clue how long it will take or when my files are done copying over. Little things like this make me miss iTunes a lot.

I know this isn't a huge issue as most people don't ever connect their devices to their Mac, but I frequently transfer video files to a media player app on my iPad and the lack of a progress bar of any kind is infuriating.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I'm currently copying files from my iPhone to my Mac, and I have a progress bar at the bottom of the Finder window. Not sure why transferring the files the other way (or iPad vs. iPhone) would cause the progress bar to disappear.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah syncing or transferring from an iPhone or iPad shows progress but transferring the other way around doesn’t. Quite annoying.

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Files app never had a progress bar and STILL doesn’t. If you download files from iCloud you get the circle progress bar inside the file icon but its pretty much useless and doesn’t give time remaining. Don’t know why there cant be a small persistent pop up at the bottom of the app giving you info. Or even better show a progress bar instead of the “[Number of] Items, 101.17 GB available in iCloud.”

Subarashii

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2020
So frustrated with transferring big files to my iPad with Finder via cable. No progress bar or whatsoever. How the hell am I supposed to know whether the transfer finished or not? Any thoughts on issue in the end of 2021?
I was even considering some terminal commands to transfer files to iPad but with no luck

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
So frustrated with transferring big files to my iPad with Finder via cable. No progress bar or whatsoever. How the hell am I supposed to know whether the transfer finished or not? Any thoughts on issue in the end of 2021?
I was even considering some terminal commands to transfer files to iPad but with no luck
Still no progress bar even today with Monterey. I've resorted to using a third party app called AnyTrans when transferring/backing up files from my iPhone and iPad. It even transfers faster than Finder.... ridiculous.

Reactions: Subarashii

Subarashii

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2020
TY a lot! I am now almost exclusively using iMazing for transferring movies to my iPad. Completely forgot this app has this killer feature aside backups.

Shame on Apple for downplaying own ecosystem.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
this is the most shameless situation I`ve faced ever in Mac systems.

is almost comparable to the "all usb-c macbooks" problem (AKA you need third party tools to complete your task)

so the Mac no longer "just works" right out the box, you must buy thingssss XDD

Apple design more than "simple design" is "incomplete design"

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
Thanks! but
is it for iOS transfer? it seems only for Time Machine Backups

I still in latest Ventura build where you can see th eprogress bar if you keep that Finder window opened, but as soon as you close it or browse back, the progress bar is gone for ever

Wyatt Wong

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Thanks! but
is it for iOS transfer? it seems only for Time Machine Backups

I still in latest Ventura build where you can see th eprogress bar if you keep that Finder window opened, but as soon as you close it or browse back, the progress bar is gone for ever
The tmstatus.sh will show the status for iOS or Time Machine Backup but it is not continuous monitoring. You need to execute the script everytime to check the current progress.

I found another similiar but more simple script from some forum, here it is:

===============================================================

#!/bin/zsh

tmstatus () {
eval $(tmutil status | grep -E '[^}];$' | perl -p -e 's/^\s+[\"]*//g;' -e 's/[\"]*\s+\=\s+/=/g') || (echo "Something get wrong..." && return 1)

if [[ $Running -eq 1 ]]
then
export LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
[[ $BackupPhase == "Copying" ]] && Percent=$(printf '%0.2f%%' $(bc <<< $Percent*100)) && echo "${DateOfStateChange} ${BackupPhase} backup to ${DestinationMountPoint}: ${totalFiles} files - ${Percent} (~$(bc <<< ${TimeRemaining:-0}/60) min.)" || echo "${DateOfStateChange} ${BackupPhase} (Destination ${DestinationID})."
else
echo "TimeMachine backup is not running."
fi
}

tmstatus

===============================================================

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.