Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
How is it that in 2015, Safari still doesn't have a pull to refresh/reload on iOS9? The one app that needs it most...

Reactions: cruze1987

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
How is it that in 2015, Safari still doesn't have a pull to refresh/reload on iOS9? The one app that needs it most...

Perhaps because people would just end up refreshing when they didn't want to?

I'd foresee people constantly having to endure page reloads (also wasting data usage) when all they really wanted to do was scroll back up to the top of the pages they'd been reading.

daio

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Germany
I imagine that there's no pull to refresh in safari as that could result in accidental ad taps as many websites put a wide ad at the top of the page. Also, menu items on other sites could also be tapped when not wanted.

Reactions: iConnected

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
That said, I do wish there was a shortcut to go to the bottom of the webpage. I know there is a javascript bookmarklet that lets me do this, but I wish it was baked into the OS directly.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Perhaps because people would just end up refreshing when they didn't want to?

I'd foresee people constantly having to endure page reloads (also wasting data usage) when all they really wanted to do was scroll back up to the top of the pages they'd been reading.
Perhaps people should pay attention to where their finger is before they tap? Seems like common sense to me.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Op your forgetting apple didn't need to add it. We have the unique reload tabs feature. Lol

But seriously I'm with everyone else the pull to refresh on my tab annoys the hell out of me

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Pull to refresh seems unnecessary to me. Most of the time you will be on the page somewhere, so pull to refresh would require you to either scroll to the top or click on the status bar to do the same first. By then the refresh button is revealed to you anyway. Pull to refresh makes sense for those views in which you are mostly looking at the top of the list, like in Mail.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Pull to refresh is a feature that is really there for streams content or lists of items, not really just web sites. That's why it makes sense in apps like Twitter or Facebook and be like, along with Mail where you are checking for new content that is coming in on a consitent basis basically, but that doesn't translate that much to web pages which are mostly not like that.

Reactions: Abazigal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.