Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hauntedcity

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2007
It appears that videos (music, TV shows, movies) can still only be played one at a time. Which dashes my hopes of creating a custom MTV that actually plays music videos... :(

Has anyone found different?

Doug

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Bummer.. I wanted this badly a while ago to create my own custom TBS. Add all the re-watchable sitcoms into a massive randomized playlist and just leave them running for when you're just hanging around the house / doing chores.

I've kind of gotten over the desire. Doesn't seem like we're never going to get this functionality if they still haven't given it to us.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
I think this is going to become the #1 most-wanted feature for the next revision.

Personally, I want to make a playlist of all Christmas-themed shows to watch in December. Ditto for "love" themed episodes of my favourite shows around Valentine's Day.

I see a lot of use for this, and I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to implement (granted I have NO idea).

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I'm not interest in video playlists so much as genre browsing for movies (purchased not rentals).

Torodd

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
I hate apple

My love has turned into hate. I am so extremly angry. The lack of looping, repeating or playlisting of video-content really pisses me of.

My anger is based on two things. 1. It is so f'***ing easy to port this functionality from audio-content to video-content, just a matter of very few lines of code. 2. Apple was very well aware of the demand for this functionallity.

Still - Apple chose to ignore their professional customers and now I hope they will die!

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Oddly when in my music and selecting playlists, I noticed that my video playlists that I synced in "movies" in itunes shows up on the atv. but when you select the video playlist it just says "this playlist contains no music". Of course the video playlists dont even show up in My Movies . But I *think* my music recoginizing them is a change from 1.1. wtf knows ?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Lack of Video playlists not limited to Apple TV

The lack of video playlists is not limited to just the Apple TV. Other media devices such as the PS3, XBOX 360, Media Center and Media Center Extender also don't support video playlists.

You can hack it with the Media Center and Media Center Extender using an XML file. However, the functionality is not built-in.

I'm not sure what the problem is. It seems like such a simple feature to implement.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
My love has turned into hate. I am so extremly angry. The lack of looping, repeating or playlisting of video-content really pisses me of.

My anger is based on two things. 1. It is so f'***ing easy to port this functionality from audio-content to video-content, just a matter of very few lines of code. 2. Apple was very well aware of the demand for this functionallity.

Still - Apple chose to ignore their professional customers and now I hope they will die!

I think the word here is serial killer.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The lack of video playlists is not limited to just the Apple TV. Other media devices such as the PS3, XBOX 360, Media Center and Media Center Extender also don't support video playlists.

You can hack it with the Media Center and Media Center Extender using an XML file. However, the functionality is not built-in.

I'm not sure what the problem is. It seems like such a simple feature to implement.

Those other devices kinda have other uses (especially the PS3 and XBox 360). The Apple TV, um, plays video. Since it's so integrated with iTunes and iTunes does all sorts of playlists, there's not a good reason for the firmware/software to not do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.