Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellowhelicopter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Subj. From the DriveDx FAQ:
External NVMe (M.2) SSDs support
Currently, there is no NVMe SMART over USB drivers for macOS. macOS does not support this and there are no third-party drivers (kernel extensions). Moreover, currently, there is no official specification for NVMe SMART over USB from NVM Express Workgroup. Currently only vendor-specific workarounds available like JMicron and AMedia but there is no common standard.

Windows' CrystalDiskInfo works just fine for this my SSD in the enclosure and shows SMART data without problems (not under Parallels though), no luck on macOS. I'm wondering why it's so hard to implement on macOS, and accordingly why no one still hasn't written an appropriate driver...

Last edited:

yellowhelicopter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
OK, answering to myself - there is a way. Namely Crystal Disk Info under Parallels' Win 11. Actually it works fine, you only need to mount the drive in the Parallel's or Win 11 USB settings (forgot where exactly) and CDI will be able to see it and show its SMART data.

It's ridiculous though that one needs to use Windows under macOS to read SMART of an USB connected M2 SSD drive.

Reactions: Basic75

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
macOS support of external SSDs is quite abysmal, just look at all the discussions on TRIM and how hard it has become to discover whether it and UASP is supported and enabled.

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
macOS support of external SSDs is quite abysmal, just look at all the discussions on TRIM and how hard it has become to discover whether it and UASP is supported and enabled.
If you run windows 11 in parallels, is it possible to manually issue a trim command to an external SSD?

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
If you run windows 11 in parallels, is it possible to manually issue a trim command to an external SSD?
I don't know and I can't try at the moment, hopefully somebody else can. Of course it can only work if the SSD uses a filesystem that Windows understands.

countryman69

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2023
OK, answering to myself - there is a way. Namely Crystal Disk Info under Parallels' Win 11. Actually it works fine, you only need to mount the drive in the Parallel's or Win 11 USB settings (forgot where exactly) and CDI will be able to see it and show its SMART data.

It's ridiculous though that one needs to use Windows under macOS to read SMART of an USB connected M2 SSD drive.
Doi you recall where the information is on how to mount external drives in Parallel's ? TIA

Reactions: frozencarbonite

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
SMART status in System Information for USB-C connected Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 SSD, no third-party kext installed.
smart_usb-jpg.2189424

Previously posted here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-drivedx-kaput.2380163/post-32101543

countryman69

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2023
I'm not sure if this in in response to my post but if it is, that doesn't go down as deep as DriveDX does. I want to see an SSD Lifetime Left Indicator and the Advanced SMART status

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.