Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Talking stock iOS here....I realize I can take a 100 character dropbox link and include it in my email - that's just sloppy.....the ONLY thing I have missed by giving up JB for iOS7 was the ability to be composing an email and to grab a file directly from DB, my device (obviously wont be possible without JB, or my camera roll)....tell me I've missed it but that it's there.....how is this not a standard feature?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Talking stock iOS here....I realize I can take a 100 character dropbox link and include it in my email - that's just sloppy.....the ONLY thing I have missed by giving up JB for iOS7 was the ability to be composing an email and to grab a file directly from DB, my device (obviously wont be possible without JB, or my camera roll)....tell me I've missed it but that it's there.....how is this not a standard feature?

Click and hold on your new email where you would type, hit the arrow on the far left when the menu comes up, and insert photo or video. Is this what you're looking for?

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Click and hold on your new email where you would type, hit the arrow on the far left when the menu comes up, and insert photo or video. Is this what you're looking for?

Nope....I want to be able to click the same thing (or something similar) and actually grab a file in Dropbox or my device to put the actual attachment in the email....not a link.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Nope....I want to be able to click the same thing (or something similar) and actually grab a file in Dropbox or my device to put the actual attachment in the email....not a link.

You can't, dropbox isn't local storage and with iOS it only works with locally stored data.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
FYI, DropBox is not an Apple product, they won't fix it.

That's DropBox's problem, file a support ticket that you want to attach a file instead of a link and have them fix it. Apple has provided the API, they just need to support it.

There may be other Dropbox client applications. I think iFile was mentioned in another thread. That might could attach files directly.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
It's not a dropbox issue...nothing is wrong with Dropbox...Apple has to develop the ability within the OS to make this a feature....nothing else. Take DB out of it....Would be nice (as of 2008 even) to be able to plug your iphone in, put files that you use daily (sales docs, etc.) so that you could then grab them in an email to send to recipients...Seems crazy simple yet still not offered.

----------

You can't, dropbox isn't local storage and with iOS it only works with locally stored data.

So how do I store data locally on my iPhone?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Apple has provided the API, they just need to support it.

It's not a dropbox issue...nothing is wrong with Dropbox...Apple has to develop the ability within the OS to make this a feature....nothing else.

You're not listening. Per the quote above Apple put an API in iOS for Dropbox to use to make this feature available. That's what iOS is for. It gives the tools and it's up to the developers to take advantage of them. Apple does not write clients for every service out there.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
You're not listening. Per the quote above Apple put an API in iOS for Dropbox to use to make this feature available. That's what iOS is for. It gives the tools and it's up to the developers to take advantage of them. Apple does not write clients for every service out there.

Got it..thanks....I guess I shouldn't have even mentioned dropbox. I'll open a ticket with them just to add one more request to the mix. Guess I had hoped adding files to a device and then being able to grab them would be a no-brainer feature....thanks for the replies.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
You just need to use an app that lets you email attachments from the app. That is how it works on iOS. Deal with it.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
You just need to use an app that lets you email attachments from the app. That is how it works on iOS. Deal with it.

Which app?

Deal with it? I am voicing my opinion on how the UE would improve should this option become available...that ok?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Which app?

Deal with it? I am voicing my opinion on how the UE would improve should this option become available...that ok?

An app like Phone Drive, for example. Or iZip. There are loads.

Sorry for being terse. People complain about the sandboxing in iOS all the time. Sure, it can be annoying, but that is just the way iOS works. Finding the right app can often make certain restrictions less painful though :)

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
It's not a dropbox issue...nothing is wrong with Dropbox...Apple has to develop the ability within the OS to make this a feature....nothing else. Take DB out of it....Would be nice (as of 2008 even) to be able to plug your iphone in, put files that you use daily (sales docs, etc.) so that you could then grab them in an email to send to recipients...Seems crazy simple yet still not offered.

----------

So how do I store data locally on my iPhone?

There's an app(s) for that.

I don't have that need, but sounds like what iFile does.

----------

Which app?

The logistics and support for Apple to support DropBox/Box/Drive/Skydrive etc etc etc as each evolves is unrealistic. And then what if your favorite isn't supported? Apple just plays neutral, provides API and a Marketaplace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.