Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
Forced to update to tvOS 16 to get the new Home Architecture on my Apple TV and now I have that thug, Will Smith’s, face taking up my full screen rather than the list of what I’m watching.

Have they still not implemented a toggle to revert it to the old ‘Up Next’ after all the feedback from the beta?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Are you talking about the Home Screen ? or when you're in the app?

For the Home Screen, there's a toggle in settings to get it back, it's always been there, but I think 16.2 reset it.

Go to main settings app, then TV in the apps section, then make sure "top shelf" is set to up next

(not at the aTV right now, so might be close but not exact in names)

Reactions: Zonck

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
That doesn’t work. Mine was set to “Up Next” and I still get the “recommendations“ above my queue. But at least Apple changed the display so I can actually see my Up Next queue now. I still hate it.

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
Are you talking about the Home Screen ? or when you're in the app?

For the Home Screen, there's a toggle in settings to get it back, it's always been there, but I think 16.2 reset it.

Go to main settings app, then TV in the apps section, then make sure "top shelf" is set to up next

(not at the aTV right now, so might be close but not exact in names)
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I was referring to the Apple TV app but I’ve now set my TV remote to take me to the Home Screen instead and set this to show up next.

I used to have the button set to the app where up next was the first thing displayed with the poster art but they’ve taken that away to put adverts there.

This will do until they inevitably try and cram more adverts in, appreciate it!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
That doesn’t work. Mine was set to “Up Next” and I still get the “recommendations“ above my queue. But at least Apple changed the display so I can actually see my Up Next queue now. I still hate it.
it applies to the Home Screen, and only if the aTV app is in the top row

it doesn't apply to anything inside the aTV app

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
I just saw this today. Such bad taste on apples part. Bad apple. Where’s the complaint page for Apple TV. We should all give them an ear full.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.