Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I remember that one used to be able to see any (if any) installed provisioning profiles in settings and they removed that in iOS 8... Is there any way NOW to see if you have any that you aren't aware of?

Only reason I ask - I was reminded by the recent Lenovo controversy (unrelated to iOS I know), part of which involved a dodgy certificate authority getting installed, that THAT's one of the things provisioning profiles are allowed to do. And since mobile Safari doesn't let you click on the SSL lock to see a cert when you're visiting a site (why???), there doesn't seem to be a way to tell if you (or your company, via MDM) has put any kind of proxy or cert on your device.

Is there?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I remember that one used to be able to see any (if any) installed provisioning profiles in settings and they removed that in iOS 8... Is there any way NOW to see if you have any that you aren't aware of?

Only reason I ask - I was reminded by the recent Lenovo controversy (unrelated to iOS I know), part of which involved a dodgy certificate authority getting installed, that THAT's one of the things provisioning profiles are allowed to do. And since mobile Safari doesn't let you click on the SSL lock to see a cert when you're visiting a site (why???), there doesn't seem to be a way to tell if you (or your company, via MDM) has put any kind of proxy or cert on your device.

Is there?

It only shows if one is installed. It would be under Settings, General, and at the bottom you'd see 'Provisioning Profiles." I think..it may be one step further under About, but I don't remember.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
It only shows if one is installed. It would be under Settings, General, and at the bottom you'd see 'Provisioning Profiles." I think..it may be one step further under About, but I don't remember.

That used to be the case with iOS 7, but I believe they removed that feature after iOS 8 (though I think it was a terrible decision on their part to remove it).

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That used to be the case with iOS 7, but I believe they removed that feature after iOS 8 (though I think it was a terrible decision on their part to remove it).

I don't believe so. I had my companies' provisioning profile installed a few months ago on my iPhone 6 with iOS 8 and it was there then..

Am I crazy? Am I talking about something different?

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I don't believe so. I had my companies' provisioning profile installed a few months ago on my iPhone 6 with iOS 8 and it was there then..

Am I crazy? Am I talking about something different?

I hope you're NOT crazy! I was hoping they turned back on the visibility of these in some post-8.0 patch level (I'm on 8.1.3 now, iPhone 6) but I have no way to tell - I don't have access to a company profile anymore so I don't know how to test this.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1

I have a Profile installed on my phone and it isn't in either of those locations.

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
Just checked on my wife's phone. It's jnder Setting, General, Device Management (near the bottom, just above reset).

I apologize if that isn't what y'all are talking about.

Pretty sure that's a configuration profile. Not a provisioning profile. Provisioning profiles can only be removed through Xcode since iOS 8.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like going through Xcode is pretty much the only way. Makes little sense that they removed It all for what they call "user friendliness" which is rather unfriendly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.