Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSBRG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2020
Denmark
There are still issues with Screen-Time and old devices. I just sold my iPad Air 3, and my Apple Watch. Logged out of my Apple ID, and reset both devices. After that, I could still see my old devices during Screen-Time on my iPhone.

- Okay, so I would try reset settings on my iPhone. It did not help. My iPad popped up again. My Apple Watch disappeared from Screen-Time when I updated to iOS 14 (Thanks Apple)

- Then tried going into "Music" on my Mac, and logged into my account. Where you can see which devices are associated with your account. My iPad was still there, so I removed it. It did not help, however.

- Hmm. I had a good time, so I put my iPhone to my Mac, and did a real reset through Finder, with new IPSW. I restored everything and I started over. Logged in to my Apple ID, went to screen-time, and you guessed it - my iPad, which IS logged out of iCloud and is completely away from my Apple ID, is STILL to be found under devices in Screen-Time.

Now I have given up. Screen Time has been here for almost 3 years and it still fails. Why is it so hard to remove the old devices Apple !!! First the App Library, and now this too. We can send people to the moon, but removing old devices is impossible.

Does anyone have a solution to this, or is it an issue between me and Apple :)

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
When you go to Settings > [your account], do you see the old devices in that list? This is where you can remove them, but it wasn't a step you had mentioned doing.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
I have this same issue. Replaced my daughter’s phone and iPad this past birthday and Christmas. Logged out of her old devices, and reset them. Went into her iCloud account and removed the devices from her account. Turned off Screen Time for her, and turned it all back on again. Devices still show up in Screen Time for her. Running iOS 14.3 on all devices.

ThisIs🐵

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2021
I upgraded to 13 Pro, but still see my old iPhone (which I erased and sold!) in screen time!

ZachApple

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2019
I cannot say about other places, but for screen time it may be like the health app where data entered is tied to a specific device. With that mindset, removing a device doesn't invalidate the old data, just prevents new data from it.

Tkdmdc

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2019
There are still issues with Screen-Time and old devices. I just sold my iPad Air 3, and my Apple Watch. Logged out of my Apple ID, and reset both devices. After that, I could still see my old devices during Screen-Time on my iPhone.

- Okay, so I would try reset settings on my iPhone. It did not help. My iPad popped up again. My Apple Watch disappeared from Screen-Time when I updated to iOS 14 (Thanks Apple)

- Then tried going into "Music" on my Mac, and logged into my account. Where you can see which devices are associated with your account. My iPad was still there, so I removed it. It did not help, however.

- Hmm. I had a good time, so I put my iPhone to my Mac, and did a real reset through Finder, with new IPSW. I restored everything and I started over. Logged in to my Apple ID, went to screen-time, and you guessed it - my iPad, which IS logged out of iCloud and is completely away from my Apple ID, is STILL to be found under devices in Screen-Time.

Now I have given up. Screen Time has been here for almost 3 years and it still fails. Why is it so hard to remove the old devices Apple !!! First the App Library, and now this too. We can send people to the moon, but removing old devices is impossible.

Does anyone have a solution to this, or is it an issue between me and Apple :)
Omg. I have been following all of these threads for a couple years. Same problem and have tried all solutions. But I finally did it. I backed up and wiped my own phone. Then I restored from the backup. I am the family sharing admin. It actually worked. My mind is blown.

phgreer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Greenville, SC
I am having the same issue. I want to use it to see what apps I need but restrictions on for myself to save time, be more productive etc. I used to have an Apple Watch 3 but upgraded to a 6 (actually my health insurance covered through a fitness program) . I have tried everything short of resetting all settings or upgrading to iOS 17 which is still in Beta as of writing this). Temp. Removed her from Family sharing, turned off iCloud, findMy etc. per instructions on Apple Support. Any other ideas? They're would be some kind of tool to remove and clear the old info. A weird thing is I will get a notification about how much screen time I have used but when I go into the setting all I see is her watch and nothing else. Of course nothing ever shows up on that old device either. She has check and she doesn't even have screen time enabled!

Attachments

• IMG_4792.PNG
    IMG_4792.PNG
    240.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4793.PNG
    IMG_4793.PNG
    78.1 KB · Views: 72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.