Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

komiez

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2016
Hi!

I'm still running ios 8 due to I had so much stuff on my phone (film guy) and forgot to update and
do a backup when I was asked. This was 1+ year ago. Using VPN and other stuff for security, I work within IT and do know that I really should have updated it but totally forgot. I'm using an iPhone 6 atm.

Reading about the ipsw self update via iTunes. On some sites it says that the 13G63 update for 9.3.5 is no longer supported?? But still finding sites with the update to be "OK!".

Anyone out there know if it's still possible to update it via iTunes and the ipsw file I have downloaded?
Would really appreciate the help. Also considering 10.3.3 ofc but 9.3.5 seems closer to my taste menu wise.

Found this video which seems to be cool, using the OPTION/CMD key when pressing Update and then pick the ipsw file:

//

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi!

I'm still running ios 8 due to I had so much stuff on my phone (film guy) and forgot to update and
do a backup when I was asked. This was 1+ year ago. Using VPN and other stuff for security, I work within IT and do know that I really should have updated it but totally forgot. I'm using an iPhone 6 atm.

Reading about the ipsw self update via iTunes. On some sites it says that the 13G63 update for 9.3.5 is no longer supported?? But still finding sites with the update to be "OK!".

Anyone out there know if it's still possible to update it via iTunes and the ipsw file I have downloaded?
Would really appreciate the help. Also considering 10.3.3 ofc but 9.3.5 seems closer to my taste menu wise.

//
Your only options at this point are to stay on iOS 8 or update to iOS 11.0.1 or later.

komiez

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2016
Your only options at this point are to stay on iOS 8 or update to iOS 11.0.1 or later.
Ahhh goddamn...for real?! What will happen if I try with the ipsw file??
And 10.3.3 is not an option either??

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ahhh goddamn...for real?! What will happen if I try with the ipsw file??
And 10.3.3 is not an option either??
None of the interim versions are being signed by Apple. They will all fail to install.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Some older devices can have some ways to roll back to some versions through a jailbreak and some other tools, but that doesn't apply to something more recent like iPhone 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.