Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I couldn't believe this when I saw it. It's deplorable. Why, Apple, why?

dump.jpg

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I was really hoping they would have upgraded the base memory configuration to 12GB (2 x 6GB) but that would have severely impacted their upgrade path to only 16GB and 24GB (32GB ... wishful thinking).

I mean the base M3 14" MacBook Pro is also on the 8GB bandwagon now 😂

• Sad
Reactions: VaruLV and AlixSPQR

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
It's so sad, but it must be by design. Remember when otherwise advanced base model Macs had painfully slow HDD's? This is its replacement ”feature”. I suppose Apple nudges everyone to upgrade to their insane prices.

Xiao_Xi

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2021
I guess Apple doesn't believe that more expensive upgrades than the competition doesn't hurt sales.

Reactions: Populus

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Unfortunately - 8GB IS the Apple way, and YOU WILL help solidify their $3 Trillion worth by purchasing RAM upgrades - just as I did with my 16GB M2 MBA.

I am really tired of hearing about these supposed 12GB RAM increments people thought was coming - as if they knew what Apple was cooking up. Many of you were all wrong.

And, 18GB is just weird Apple - no one saw that one coming.

TRUTH.

• Haha
Reactions: VaruLV and Kazgarth

thenewperson

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
I am really tired of hearing about these supposed 12GB RAM increments people thought was coming - as if they knew what Apple was cooking up. Many of you were all wrong.

And, 18GB is just weird Apple - no one saw that one coming.
Well it was mostly hope so not sure why it'd require people to know what Apple was cooking.

Also iirc Mark Gurman mentioned 18GB and 36GB for the Pro. It just seemed like such a weird capacity so no one really paid much attention to it. The 6+6 config was somewhat more discussed but it also just seemed weird so it was dismissed a bit too. And here we are.

Reactions: VaruLV

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
What is an even bigger kick in the cock is that the M2 Pro/Max models got bumped to 18 GB. Pure stinginess not bumping the M3 to 10 GB. As mentioned on other threads, this will have implications for Apple down the road when they need to make the 2028 release of MacOS work on 8 GB RAM...

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I guess Apple doesn't believe that more expensive upgrades than the competition doesn't hurt sales.
And they're probably right. I know I wouldn't buy an 8G machine and if I want a Mac, and I still do, I'll pay for the upgrades. Not sure what I'd do if I had to do this for work though -- I'd probably upgrade user machines even less.

Reactions: phillytim

wnorris

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
The problem for the average user that is looking to buy a base model computer with an M3 (or really any M series chip) is that the 8GB RAM limitation will be what likely forces them to upgrade in the future. The OS and apps grow in size and RAM requirements so it is highly likely that the CPU will be speedy for 10 or more years while RAM is going to start causing issues in a few more years for most.

Apple should at the very least lower the cost of RAM upgrades as their pricing is getting hard to justify.

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
Um, an M3 with 8GB Unified Memory, 8-Core CPU, 8-Core GPU, 256GB Storage with a 24" 4.5K Retina Display and 2x TB/USB4 Ports for $1299, or add another $200 for an extra 2x USB3 Ports and GB Ethernet and 2-more Cores of GPU, as a on-ramp into the MacOS ecosystem is cause for some folks to be upset?! Oofah. :)

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
What is an even bigger kick in the cock is that the M2 Pro/Max models got bumped to 18 GB. Pure stinginess not bumping the M3 to 10 GB. As mentioned on other threads, this will have implications for Apple down the road when they need to make the 2028 release of MacOS work on 8 GB RAM...
If they're smart, they'll keep the software optimized for it, which will benefit everyone. Unfortunately I'm not really holding my breath for that one though, MacOS is already gotten a bit on the heavier side in terms of system resources.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Um, an M3 with 8GB Unified Memory, 8-Core CPU, 8-Core GPU, 256GB Storage with a 24" 4.5K Retina Display and 2x TB/USB4 Ports for $1299, or add another $200 for an extra 2x USB3 Ports and GB Ethernet and 2-more Cores of GPU, as a on-ramp into the MacOS ecosystem is cause for some folks to be upset?! Oofah. :)
I'm upset because I didn't want it as an onramp, new computer user type thing, I wanted it for work and the specs aren't good enough for that. $400 for **24G** of RAM, and minimal processor??? I like all-in-one's, but this doesn't fit the bill at all, and I did have some hope it would have. Oh well, no money from me this upgrade cycle. I'll stick with what I have.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I'm upset because I didn't want it as an onramp, new computer user type thing, I wanted it for work and the specs aren't good enough for that. $400 for **24G** of RAM, and minimal processor??? I like all-in-one's, but this doesn't fit the bill at all, and I did have some hope it would have. Oh well, no money from me this upgrade cycle. I'll stick with what I have.

That is why you buy the computer that you need. Even if you shove 128GB of RAM on it my needs wouldn’t be fulfilled but I’m not here complaining about it. Either I buy the maxed out MacBook Pro or Mac Studio/Pro so my work can get done.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I couldn't believe this when I saw it. It's deplorable. Why, Apple, why?

View attachment 2304781
Deliberate- pay Apple Tax on upgrades you can only get from Apple at time of purchase.

No more people being able to go to evil 3rd party websites buying 3rd party ram upgrades for less!

Look at Mac Pro and the price of 768GB aftermar Versus Apple.

All that said even the maximum level on iMac is very stingy. 32 or 64gb should have been options.

Maybe they can offer a 6K iMac Studio later on and kill off the Mac Studio and remove support for it from future macOS to force those users to get a new expensive computer.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
That is why you buy the computer that you need. Even if you shove 128GB of RAM on it my needs wouldn’t be fulfilled but I’m not here complaining about it.
Why would you complain about an almost 4 year old computer, that would be stupid.

Complaining about something new is a natural reaction to being severely disappointed that it isn't enough for what you need.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Repeat what I have written in various threads: why do you want others to pay for your lusts?

Can you accept that for many people a base level iMac is all they will need? Can you?

And if you want and iMac with more memory, then just order one with more memory. You can now get an iMac with 24GB of RAM.

If that is not enough RAM for you, then buy a Mac Studio or MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.