Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
It will refuse to load any website after you open it again right?

After it crashes, you need to open it again (which is what you've been doing), quit the application, then open it a second time, and it should start functioning once more.

Works for me.
Just wanted to confirm I finally got to try this tip and it works perfectly! Safari crashed with 5 tabs open, opened, quit correctly, and opened again. Now I'm back in it posting this reply without having to restart the machine! Thanks again for pointing this out. :)

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Just wanted to confirm I finally got to try this tip and it works perfectly! Safari crashed with 5 tabs open, opened, quit correctly, and opened again. Now I'm back in it posting this reply without having to restart the machine! Thanks again for pointing this out. :)

Good to know. Glad I helped. :)

I wouldn't use more than 2 tabs open on Safari / WebKit. The browser isn't known for its stability, so you want to give it as little load and as little chance to crash as possible.

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
The browser isn't known for its stability, so you want to give it as little load and as little chance to crash as possible.
Precisely why I still use TFF more. ;) If Safari were just almost as stable, I'd use it for basically everything, but my habit of having many tabs open at all times makes those times it crashes even more painful, since I then have to figure out which ones I want to reopen from history...

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
If Safari were just almost as stable, I'd use it for basically everything, but my habit of having many tabs open at all times makes those times it crashes even more painful, since I then have to figure out which ones I want to reopen from history...

Exactly my point... ;)

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Many people mean web browsing as a daily driver. Any PowerPC will fail on this account badly. However, if you are a writer, like hobby picture editing via photoshop and listening to iTunes, any PowerPC machine will do just fine.

Reactions: bobesch

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Many people mean web browsing as a daily driver. Any PowerPC will fail on this account badly. However, if you are a writer, like hobby picture editing via photoshop and listening to iTunes, any PowerPC machine will do just fine.

My G5 is blistering fast browsing the Web on Arctic Fox, under Debian 10 with Xfce. It could easily be passed off as an early Intel, maybe even newer.

Any G3 will struggle, no matter the OS. G4s will be on the slower side, but will usually get the job done. Any G5 will fly IF they are given the correct tools, which in this case are the above mentioned.

If people don't want to browse the Web with their PowerPCs, they don't need to.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
My G5 is blistering fast browsing the Web on Arctic Fox, under Debian 10 with Xfce. It could easily be passed off as an early Intel, maybe even newer.

Any G3 will struggle, no matter the OS. G4s will be on the slower side, but will usually get the job done. Any G5 will fly IF they are given the correct tools, which in this case are the above mentioned.

If people don't want to browse the Web with their PowerPCs, they don't need to.

Ha, the PM-G5 still is a power-machine, but one of it's kind and you'll need a lot of muscle- and electric-power to move and run it.
For the mere mortal "G3" users, who like to move around their machines, or running os9, web-browsing is going to become more and more a kind of a hassle.

Comparing the overall-experience of my 15" PowerBook-G5-DLSD with my 1st-Gen iPad-mini I don't feel any difference, when it comes to surfing the web ...

Let's talk about today's web-experience: it has become a blown-up advertising drum, which is going to kill performance and life-span of all old and new devices.
There are only selected task, who take a huge advantage of the currently available computing power.

Last edited:

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Ha, the PM-G5 still is a power-machine, but one of it's kind and you'll need a lot of muscle- and electric-power to move and run it.
For the mere mortal "G3" users, who like to move around their machines, or running os9, web-browsing is going to become more and more a kind of a hassle.

Comparing the overall-experience of my 15" PowerBook-G5-DLSD with my 1st-Gen iPad-mini I don't feel any difference, when it comes to surfing the web ...

Let's talk about today's web-experience: it has become a blown-up advertising drum, which is going to kill performance and life-span of all old and new devices.
There are only selected task, who take a huge advantage of the currently available computing power.
Ive used a older 2012 model samsung android tablet recently with a dual core 1ghz processor and 1gb ram.... just awful on the web. every website is sluggish and painful to load and sometimes crashes no matter what the browser. Android 4 still runs all the latest browsers, and apps, and is just awful. A G4 is so much nicer and dependable, (not a G3, only later model G4's) if you want to load a damn website, it loads.
In TFF there are ways to disable advertising and slow ass javascript. G4's are cheap great daily drivers, and are much better than older tablets and phones (which people still use).

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I've been using IceWeaselPPC by @wicknix on my G4 iBooks and PowerBooks, and it's much faster than TFF, especially if you use the TFF tweaks pinned on this forum.

Since it's also Firefox based, you can still use adblockers and other extensions, but lots of the bloat that TFF has is stripped out. Most websites work fine using it.

Reactions: wicknix and z970

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I've been using IceWeaselPPC by @wicknix on my G4 iBooks and PowerBooks, and it's much faster than TFF, especially if you use the TFF tweaks pinned on this forum.

Since it's also Firefox based, you can still use adblockers and other extensions, but lots of the bloat that TFF has is stripped out. Most websites work fine using it.
What about Linux? do you use that on anything? look what even a old g3 can do with linux
have to give it a try soon.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I've never successfully installed Linux on a PPC. I've tried a couple times but never gotten it to work right. I'll have to try again sometime.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I've never successfully installed Linux on a PPC. I've tried a couple times but never gotten it to work right. I'll have to try again sometime.
Everyone says Youtube browser playback is not possible on a G3... I still refuse to believe that as you can see what that imac could do on linux... have you found a browser that accommodates youtube on a low end G3?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Everyone says Youtube browser playback is not possible on a G3... I still refuse to believe that as you can see what that imac could do on linux... have you found a browser that accommodates youtube on a low end G3?

I already answered this on the 3rd post in this thread!!!

And yes, Mint PPC could play Youtube in 2015 - really badly as anyone who plays the video will see.
[doublepost=1564527427][/doublepost]Yet again.....

Reactions: LAHegarty

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I already answered this on the 3rd post in this thread!!!

And yes, Mint PPC could play Youtube in 2015 - really badly as anyone who plays the video will see.
There are much better alternatives than this, it doesn't play perfect, but then again its a G3.
This thread is super old, i wont remember something you posted months ago.
YouTube browser playback was possible in 2015 using MintPPC and i was wondering if it still is, not that its a good option at all. The first iBook G3 youtube option that you posted on your youtube channel is a great option which I have started using.

LAHegarty

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
York, UK.
Still possible to use iMac G3 as daily machine?

Not a chance, unless all you use it for writing.

Last edited:

Majoris

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
DC
Linux don't backport it's old radeon kernel drivers. The kernel is very bleeding edge. And to properly get anything close to acceleration. You have to use an old kernel. And the painstaking process of backporting security patches. For said old kernel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.