Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
How many CPU/GPU cores these machine you looking at having?

In general, it depends on your needs/apps you using, if they can utilize all the cores, only the performance cores or only single core… same with RAM, how much you’ll need for your work…

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I would go into an Apple reseller and use the two devices “side by each” (little Canadian humour for you there). You‘ll see whether you notice the screen and audio quality differences between the two devices (they exist, and the MBPro is superior in both, excepting the smaller screen size) and whether they bother you, or whether the added size of the 15” MBAir is more to your taste.

Why? I have the 16” MBPro, my brother has the 15” MBAir, my father has the 13” MBAir, and my wife is jonesing for the 14” MBPro… and each one of us thinks we have the best device for us.

• Haha
Reactions: geta

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
FYI: performance cores vs RAM… if you don’t know which is more important, perhaps neither is. As someone who measures his computers’ performance regularly, I can tell you that my M1Max is overkill for my use except when ripping disc-based media. Handbrake and MakeMKV will use every available core. But they come nowhere near saturating my 32GB RAM. Otherwise I do photography editing and general tasks and rarely go above 50% pressure. Partially that’s due to my closing programs I don’t regularly use.

I had an M1 Mac mini with 16GB RAM and it was not up to the task. I would likely have been fine with an M1Pro but I want longevity…

Distilled down, the CPU in the M1 Mac mini was up to the tasks I threw at it. But RAM and GPU (and multi-monitor support) were not.

Long story to say “know thyself”

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Again, don't over-think.

Considering "where you're coming from", either the m2pro or the m3pro is going to be a HUGE "jump upwards" from where you are now. I predict that you'll be VERY happy with EITHER one.

If you can get a NEW m3pro for roughly the same price as an Apple refurbished m2pro, well, that question answers itself.

kyriostrife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
I upgraded from a 2014 15" MBP to an M1 14" Pro basically a year ago (got a great deal). I was holding out for the 15" Air but couldn't wait any longer as my MBP was struggling with anything beyond normal tasks.

I wish I had gone with a 16" just because of my workflow but there is no true negative for me with the 14". When I'm traveling, I prefer the larger screen. However, no actual complaints with the 14". Battery life is great but I know the 16" is better. Doesn't get hot. Handles everything including photo/video needs. And the 14" will end up going to my wife (she's the main reason I got it over the 16") unless I want to trade it in for a 16" (probably not worth it). The 14" screen isn't small by any means. I just happen to prefer the 16". But these Pro screens really are fantastic. Incredibly sharp and great color.

Just before I purchased the 14" Pro, I tried out a 13" Air. I really liked the size and weight but wasn't a massive fan of the screen. Some high-intensive tasks were a bit slow but to be honest 99% of everything else was quick enough. I'm sure if the 15" Air was released at that time I would have bought that, never tried the pro, and just kept the 15". So it's really just perspective.

Reactions: Moreplease

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
As a fellow 2015 MBP user, I'd just keep using your existing machine personally

Use OCLP and you can be fully up to date on the latest OS

Apple very artificially cut off support.
The 2015 15" MBP runs it just fine.

Reactions: unblocktheplane

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
watching movies/videos and the like will heat up the MBA as it has no fans
I watch videos all the time and the system has not gotten hot. The only time my system gets warm is when importing, or exporting, a few hundred photographs from Lightroom.
because it's Windows. It's by far the worst OS ever invented
Yet is overwhelming the choice for the majority of desktop systems for home and business. Not bad for, in your words, being "the worst OS ever invented". As of July 2023 Windows was 70% of the desktop market. MacOS was about 20%. Linux was 3%, Chrome about the same as Linux.

Windows you can get your own hardware, build your own system. MacOS you have to get the system from Apple. Some would present valid arguments that with Apple controlling the hardware and OS, that everything will just work. Then people complain about Apple's prices for upgrades. With most Windows systems it is possible to add memory and storage, the exception being some small laptops, such as Microsoft's own Surface line, where everything is sealed.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
As a fellow 2015 MBP user, I'd just keep using your existing machine personally

Use OCLP and you can be fully up to date on the latest OS

Apple very artificially cut off support.
The 2015 15" MBP runs it just fine.

Okay but how long will that last? Eventually I'd have to upgrade to something new. My MBP won't last forever. I've replaced the MagSafe cable twice because the section by the plug going into the laptop starts to discolour and fray apart. Also I have had moments where the display flickers. Only resolved by restarting the Mac.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I watch videos all the time and the system has not gotten hot. The only time my system gets warm is when importing, or exporting, a few hundred photographs from Lightroom.

Yet is overwhelming the choice for the majority of desktop systems for home and business. Not bad for, in your words, being "the worst OS ever invented". As of July 2023 Windows was 70% of the desktop market. MacOS was about 20%. Linux was 3%, Chrome about the same as Linux.

Windows you can get your own hardware, build your own system. MacOS you have to get the system from Apple. Some would present valid arguments that with Apple controlling the hardware and OS, that everything will just work. Then people complain about Apple's prices for upgrades. With most Windows systems it is possible to add memory and storage, the exception being some small laptops, such as Microsoft's own Surface line, where everything is sealed.

Windows is used by the majority cause it's license to all kinds of hardware. If Apple had done that then they may have become the majority. I have used Windows many times over the years. I use it at work all the time cause it's what we have. I just never cared for Microsoft and don't get me started on Bill Gates. Yes I do like the customization of a Windows PC. I just don't care for the OS.

Side question. Why does MacRumours "correct" my sentences when I'm typing? Very frustrating.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
Windows is used by the majority cause its license to all kinds of hardware. If Apple had done that then they may have become the majority.
I don't think so. Apple was about the only real OS for some time with the Apple II. Then there was HDOS, DOS, CP/M, CP/M86, and some I don't even remember. A fragmented industry where each vendor had their own OS. Apple sat on the sidelines with the others. Apple stagnated.

Microsoft came along with Windows 3.0 which really changed everything for the user. No more cryptic command line. And Windows ran on multiple hardware platforms. Largely because of Compaq being able to black-room reproduce the proprietary BIOS.

Windows from Microsoft wanted to run on as many devices as possible. Apple instead placed part of the OS within the BIOS and that restricted the use to only Apple hardware. Apple hardware struggled and was very much a niche platform. The first Macs with a graphical interface were small, black and white, and slow because of the floppy. Windows PC's had hard disk drives that made them much faster.

Apple made some blunders back then in my opinion. What rescued Apple was the iPhone. Since then Apple has become a very profitable and valuable company with excellent products. I own several.

Windows environment still runs into problems with driver issues, particularly graphics drivers. Sometimes stuff just not work, works but suboptimal, or takes some tweaking to make it work. Apple instead controls the hardware and software and it all just works. I have never had to tweak an Apple system to make it work. And the interoperability between Apple products is outstanding.

Yet, Windows still has 3.5 times the desktop operating system in production. And it is on dozens of devices from different vendors. I cannot find the statistics but I think that for a single vendor Apple probably exceeds any single hardware vendor offering Windows. I may be wrong because of companies such as Dell and Lenovo.

People still pay for Windows licenses, or did. No one pays for MacOS licenses as it is part of the hardware. One would think MacOS would be more popular because of the cost of Windows. But that is becoming less true with Windows bundled with systems.

As to MacOS, Windows OS, Linux, whatever, being superior to each other, that is just blowing hot air. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Some stuff in MacOS still irritates me. Some stuff in Windows still irritates me. Some stuff in both system irritates me. Linux just ticks me off with cryptic command line stuff that is sometimes needed.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I don't think so. Apple was about the only real OS for some time with the Apple II. Then there was HDOS, DOS, CP/M, CP/M86, and some I don't even remember. A fragmented industry where each vendor had their own OS. Apple sat on the sidelines with the others. Apple stagnated.

Microsoft came along with Windows 3.0 which really changed everything for the user. No more cryptic command line. And Windows ran on multiple hardware platforms. Largely because of Compaq being able to black-room reproduce the proprietary BIOS.

Windows from Microsoft wanted to run on as many devices as possible. Apple instead placed part of the OS within the BIOS and that restricted the use to only Apple hardware. Apple hardware struggled and was very much a niche platform. The first Macs with a graphical interface were small, black and white, and slow because of the floppy. Windows PC's had hard disk drives that made them much faster.

Apple made some blunders back then in my opinion. What rescued Apple was the iPhone. Since then Apple has become a very profitable and valuable company with excellent products. I own several.

Windows environment still runs into problems with driver issues, particularly graphics drivers. Sometimes stuff just not work, works but suboptimal, or takes some tweaking to make it work. Apple instead controls the hardware and software and it all just works. I have never had to tweak an Apple system to make it work. And the interoperability between Apple products is outstanding.

Yet, Windows still has 3.5 times the desktop operating system in production. And it is on dozens of devices from different vendors. I cannot find the statistics but I think that for a single vendor Apple probably exceeds any single hardware vendor offering Windows. I may be wrong because of companies such as Dell and Lenovo.

People still pay for Windows licenses, or did. No one pays for MacOS licenses as it is part of the hardware. One would think MacOS would be more popular because of the cost of Windows. But that is becoming less true with Windows bundled with systems.

As to MacOS, Windows OS, Linux, whatever, being superior to each other, that is just blowing hot air. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Some stuff in MacOS still irritates me. Some stuff in Windows still irritates me. Some stuff in both system irritates me. Linux just ticks me off with cryptic command line stuff that is sometimes needed.

Well like you said Windows has it’s problems with things like driver issues. I’ve never found Windows to be a solid OS which is a big reason I never took to it. The Mac OS “just works” and I have always preferred the GUI of the MacOS compared to Windows. I’d say what rescued Apple was the iMac. I had the first version and that seemed to turn things around for Apple. That and the iPod which I wish Apple still made. Not the touch version but the one with the scroll wheel. There is plenty of great hardware on the PC side but I can’t justify buying a Windows PC because it’s Windows. Same goes for Google Android. Lots of great phones but it’s still Google. I can’t support Google.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Well like you said Windows has it’s problems with things like driver issues. I’ve never found Windows to be a solid OS which is a big reason I never took to it. The Mac OS “just works” and I have always preferred the GUI of the MacOS compared to Windows. I’d say what rescued Apple was the iMac. I had the first version and that seemed to turn things around for Apple. That and the iPod which I wish Apple still made. Not the touch version but the one with the scroll wheel. There is plenty of great hardware on the PC side but I can’t justify buying a Windows PC because it’s Windows. Same goes for Google Android. Lots of great phones but it’s still Google. I can’t support Google.
I was around during those early days and later, when Apple had just about went belly up. Neither the iPhone nor iMac saved Apple but both catapulted it into Apple being a major player unlike before in terms of total end user ownership. MIght might argue (yes this is true), that it was Bill Gates that saved Apple by a mass infusion and "agreement" that kept Apple from going bankrupt.

During the "Wild West" days of computers, it was Macintosh machines that were meant to be networked together while IBM PCs were not. Strange how that got turned around. Recall there were other players out there such as Radio Shack Tandy with the Z80 chip, Commodore and more. DOS was not hard to learn but scared lots of people (home users) away. Early "Macs" were a thing of beauty for many and did what it was supposed to do. Meanwhile, PCs had DOS and all sorts of add ons that included the earliest Windows that sat on top of DOS. IBM made one great bit of hardware called Micro Channel (sp) that was great for the PC world but they sat on it and would not license it nor let it play ball with third party vendors. Great as it was, IBM as usual, screwed itself over and like Beta Max, the superior product faded away. All the third party makers of clone PC is what pushed the DOS/Windows world ahead. Dell, Gateway and folks like Hewlet Packard made PCs far more common in homes than IBM ever could do.

Beyond the trivia of Gate's bailing out Apple, there was a time when Apple allowed another company to make Mac clones - NEC. NEC's systems were elegant and ran better than Apple's own hardware. This of course, went very short lived as Apple reversed itself on this agreement.

As for me - favourite operating system remains with OS/2 and then various Mac OS incarnations.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Okay but how long will that last? Eventually I'd have to upgrade to something new. My MBP won't last forever. I've replaced the MagSafe cable twice because the section by the plug going into the laptop starts to discolour and fray apart. Also I have had moments where the display flickers. Only resolved by restarting the Mac.
It seems that mentally you have already bought a new Mac.😀 If you have the budget I understand why you want to go ahead & enjoy yourself but honestly you have nothing to lose by trying OCLP.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
It seems that mentally you have already bought a new Mac.😀 If you have the budget I understand why you want to go ahead & enjoy yourself but honestly you have nothing to lose by trying OCLP.

Well how easy it is to use OCLP? I also suspect my MBP is acting up. For example this morning the volume started to increase even though my hand was no where near the volume up key on the keyboard. Or the other day the screen was flickering a lot so I had to restart my computer.

Also this may me a MacRumours forum thing and not my Mac but It seems like my sentences when I type on here are being autocorrected. Not just a word but full sentences. Really weird.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
Think about this decision from a longevity perspective. Like you, I have gotten a lot of mileage out of a MBP. I used a maxed out 2012 rMBP for 10 years ... and I am still using it in my shop now at 12 years. If you pay $5K and the computer lasts you 10 years like the previous one did, then that is $500/yr (a bit more of you use a PV calculation). The current models fixed a lot of problems (keyboard, high speed io, cooling) so this crop of computers is likely to last a very long time. So, I recommend you max out a 16" MBP and be done with worrying about it for another 10 or more years.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
Well how easy it is to use OCLP? I also suspect my MBP is acting up. For example this morning the volume started to increase even though my hand was no where near the volume up key on the keyboard. Or the other day the screen was flickering a lot so I had to restart my computer.
OCLP is fairly easy to install and use. it is more time consuming to manage the OS though. You should turn off macOS automatic updates and when an update becomes available, you should update OCLP first and confirm the latest OCLP version works with the macOS update.

You need to wrap your head around the fact that you are a bit more at risk for vulnerabilities because of the relaxed security mode required to run OCLP. But, if you are generally informed so as to avoid malicious sites, code and email then the risk is quite manageable.

I am using OCLP on my 12 year old 2012 rMBP and it is working well. I encountered a problem once with iCloud syncing during an update from Big Sur to Monterey. It overwrote my keychain with an older copy of the database For some reason and I lost some of my password updates. Recommend that you make sure your iCloud data is fully synced before you do an update. I also recently started using OCLP on a MP 6,1 With Sonoma. Works better than native Monterey did.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
What rescued Apple was the iPhone. Since then Apple has become a very profitable and valuable company with excellent products. I own several.
No doubt the iPhone is important to Apple's success. I believe the turn around is supported by the financial evidence that demonstrates the first inflection point occurred when iTunes was released which coincided with the iPod. The second inflection point occurred when Apple transitioned to Intel x86 and unleashed Bootcamp and virtual machines to address a lot of the cross platform compatibility issues with windows. The iPod sired the iPhone which was the third inflection point. The fourth inflection point is Apple Silicon which was enabled by the evolution of multiple operating systems that erased the need for x86 architecture.

Last edited:

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
OCLP is fairly easy to install and use. it is more time consuming to manage the OS though. You should turn off macOS automatic updates and when an update becomes available, you should update OCLP first and confirm the latest OCLP version works with the macOS update.

You need to wrap your head around the fact that you are a bit more at risk for vulnerabilities because of the relaxed security mode required to run OCLP. But, if you are generally informed so as to avoid malicious sites, code and email then the risk is quite manageable.

I am using OCLP on my 12 year old 2012 rMBP and it is working well. I encountered a problem once with iCloud syncing during an update from Big Sur to Monterey. It overwrote my keychain with an older copy of the database For some reason and I lost some of my password updates. Recommend that you make sure your iCloud data is fully synced before you do an update. I also recently started using OCLP on a MP 6,1 With Sonoma. Works better than native Monterey did.

Well the only thing of iCloud I use is email. That’s it. Also I don’t use automatic updates on my Mac anyways. I’m just browsing through the OCLP website. Seems like it would be fairly “hands on” in managing things. I don’t mind trying it but is it easy to go back if I don’t like it? I know I’m going to need a new Mac eventually. I’ve had to replace the power cable twice, the other day I had some weird screen flicking issue which only a restart seemed to fix (for now). Even just watching YouTube can get the fans going like crazy and CPU pretty hot.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Ok. You weren’t clear. I agree the prices to “upgrade” from a base configuration is ridiculous, however, the current M-series hardware, especially the M2 MBA, is the best computing value for the dollar Apple has ever had. Based on your declared usage, a base config M2 MBA should suit you perfectly.
I second this. I have modest computing needs. I bought a base M2 Air two days ago, to complement my base M2 Mini. So far it has been faultless.

The only issue I have is that I'm still second-guessing myself on the screen size. I got the 13" but part of me regrets not choosing the 15". I am still within the return period so am thinking of switching it for the 15. Or, more likely, I'll give this one to my daughter for college in about six months and get an M3 for myself. Either is a great light-usage option.

Reactions: leifp

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Okay so I'm still using a 15" MBP from 2015. Overall for every day tasks like web browsing and email and such it still works very well. I do get the fans spinning up for things like watching youtube. But I know that my Mac cannot be updated to the latest MacOS so I know at some point I will have no choice but to upgrade. I think I've pretty much narrowed it to either a 15" M2 MBA or a 14" M3 MBP. Either one I would get 16GB/1TB options which is what I have on my 2015 MBP. I still have almost half my SSD free so I'm not worried about running out of space. However I do realize I cannot upgrade any component myself on the current models. But the price to upgrade is so expensive. I really feel like Apple is ripping people off. The only reason I am considering this upgrade is because my brother works for Apple and is letting me use his mega discount which he gets every few years. He doesn't get as big a discount on refurbished models so looking there is almost pointless. Does it make more sense to go with the MBP over the MBA? Pricing them out it seems the MBP would be $100 more than the MBA. Also keep in mind I'm in Canada so every thing is more expensive here than in the US.
A direct answer is that a MacBook Air 15" is more suitable for your use case.

Please consider this: there is absolutely no urgency to make this decision.

Your MacBook will still be supported by Apple with security patches until roughly October this year. Once this runs out, you can just use Chrome or Firefox, which will receive their own security patches, so you'll stay secure still. This will give you 1-2 more years. After this runs out, you can use OpenCore Legacy Patcher to upgrade to Sonoma and have 1-3 more years of Chrome or Firefox upgrades. For your use case performance-wise this will be fine.

I have the same laptop and I've absolutely no desire to spend £1,800 to replace my machine, which works very well and will stay secure for 3-5 more years. I also have access to someone who has a 17% discount, but this doesn't make a major difference.

For the fan noise, just buy TurboBoost Switcher Pro for $10. It allows to turn off TurboBoost of your processor. This will make the laptop silent for 90% of your listed tasks without any perceived performance degradation, assuming you're keeping it on an even surface.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
A direct answer is that a MacBook Air 15" is more suitable for your use case.

Please consider this: there is absolutely no urgency to make this decision.

Your MacBook will still be supported by Apple with security patches until roughly October this year. Once this runs out, you can just use Chrome or Firefox, which will receive their own security patches, so you'll stay secure still. This will give you 1-2 more years. After this runs out, you can use OpenCore Legacy Patcher to upgrade to Sonoma and have 1-3 more years of Chrome or Firefox upgrades. For your use case performance-wise this will be fine.

I have the same laptop and I've absolutely no desire to spend £1,800 to replace my machine, which works very well and will stay secure for 3-5 more years. I also have access to someone who has a 17% discount, but this doesn't make a major difference.

For the fan noise, just buy TurboBoost Switcher Pro for $10. It allows to turn off TurboBoost of your processor. This will make the laptop silent for 90% of your listed tasks without any perceived performance degradation, assuming you're keeping it on an even surface.

Well my brother works for Apple and every few years he get a mega discount which is basically half off. He is letting me use it if I want to.

For example I can get this for $1,209 + tax (CAD) with my brothers discount.

Or a new 14" MBP M3 16GB/1TB for $1,349 + tax (CAD)

Reactions: Andrey84

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Well my brother works for Apple and every few years he get a mega discount which is basically half off. He is letting me use it if I want to.

For example I can get this for $1,209 + tax (CAD) with my brothers discount.

Or a new 14" MBP M3 16GB/1TB for $1,349 + tax (CAD)
Ok, with a 50% discount it's a different story. Then you're lucky and Apple won't rip you off :)
I personally much prefer a larger screen. I would wait for the M3 MBA to be released and buy a 15"/16GB version.

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Well I base M2 15" MBA with 16GB/1TB upgrade is $2499 CAD. A base M3 14" MBP with 16GB/1TB upgrade is $2599 CAD. This is before calculating any of my brothers Apple discount. Would it not make more sense to get the MBP?

EDIT: Also the display on the M3 MBP seems to be overall better quality. I was checking out the Air and Pro at the Apple Store and the MBP was a definitely better display.
I believe the "base" would be 8gig/256 ssd and be considerably cheaper and give your usage run just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.