Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laptoplover2

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
USA
I just got a new MacBook on eBay for a ridiculously cheap price and it's in great condition! Well let's not use the word "new". It's an original 2006 model.
60 GB hard drive
2 GHz Core Duo (no 2)
2 GB of ram.

It's a beauty. It's running Leopard 10.5.8, the latest version of Leopard. I plan on possibly upgrading this computer to Lion soon after I backup Leopard and learn the hack to get Lion on a Core Duo.

Leopard is still an extremely great operating system. It's amazingly stable and light. This computer boots up in about 3/4 or I'd even say 5/8 of the time that my newer MacBook boots up with Mountain Lion. It has not slowed down on me at all and continues working absolutely great no matter what things are dropped on it. It's lost support so far but there still plenty of great apps still available on it. A great example of that would be OmniWeb, a browser about as fast as Chrome if not faster, with more built in features than any other browser I've ever used. It's even compatible with Tiger.

Anyone else still rocking 10.5? How are you doing with it?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Having used OS X from 10.2 onwards, I really wouldn't say that any one was "more stable" compared to any of the others. (Well, 10.2 was a bit dodgy..) OS X does not generally panic, unless there's a hardware problem or some incompatible driver/kext.
Apps may fall over, but that's a different matter.

Secondly, at startup, machines with more memory will take longer (though faster CPUs will mitigate this).

Thirdly, Snow Leopard is generally seen as an "optimization" of Leopard, bringing efficiencies and a smaller footprint. In short "if you like Leopard, you'll love Snow Leopard".

Macs normally shouldn't slow down, whatever the OS, (though you will find instances of people reporting slowness problems -- also regardless of OS).

I ran a 2006 iMac from new, and have only just binned it. It ran 10.4 up to 10.7 on 3Gb of RAM, and I can't say I had any problems with any of them.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
I'm using it in my iBook, it is still very usable. Safari works very well, i can use iTunes match, pixelmator, etc..

Lots of people still using leopard for old PPC machines.

Though Snow Leopard is more optimized and better for your Core Duo Macbook. I'd not go to to Lion. I had a Mac Mini CD that I upgraded to C2D 2.2 GHz and it struggled with Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.