Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I've just put my 20GB 2nd gen iPod on charge and this got me thinking.......I case it was of any interest, I thought I'd write this post to say that I'm still using my 20GB 2nd gen iPod after 20 years.

I bought the iPod used off Ebay (UK) in August 2003. It's used in my car. I have it connected to the aux port on the radio head unit. I bought the 2nd gen iPod because of three reasons:-

1) I preferred the design over the 3rd gen (still LOVE the design)

2) 3rd gen's battery had 2 hours less playtime....... I think 8 hours as opposed to 10 on the 2nd gen.

3) Due to the French Government at the time requiring a certain volume cap on mp3 players, Apple shipped ALL European iPods with a volume limiter and this was impossible to remove on the 3rd gens........ On 2nd gens, this volume cap could be removed using 'Tinkertool' to locate the hidden file which could then be sent to the trash.

During the last 20 years I've replaced the battery about 4 or 5 times (3rd party batteries don't seem to last as long as the orginal Apple batteries). Twice the batteries swelled up after I took the iPod on a long haul flight, this is maybe just a coincidence. I've also had to replace the hard drive once.

After 20 years I still get pleasure from using the iPod and I still love the design.

I also have a 5th generation 60GB iPod and 5th gen 32GB iPod Touch which I also use regularly

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
That's really awesome to hear, especially that instead of buying a new device, this device has been in use for so long. More and more, I don't feel like upgrading my equipment unless either a) they break or b) it doesn't serve what I need any more.

My MacBook Pro (13" touchbar) was purchased in 2017 and is about 5 years old now and it still feels quite new and speedy to me. I'm hoping it'll last me for many more years!

Reactions: Scoot65

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
That's really awesome to hear, especially that instead of buying a new device, this device has been in use for so long. More and more, I don't feel like upgrading my equipment unless either a) they break or b) it doesn't serve what I need any more.

My MacBook Pro (13" touchbar) was purchased in 2017 and is about 5 years old now and it still feels quite new and speedy to me. I'm hoping it'll last me for many more years!

Thanks for your response. I fully agree!

Reactions: msackey

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I still use my iPod with my Apple HiFi every day. The sound on this device from so many years ago still amazes me to this day.

9F8F43C5-210B-4BB4-84EE-CFFC7A064A6C.jpeg

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I still use my iPod with my Apple HiFi every day. The sound on this device from so many years ago still amazes me to this day.

Nice Set-up! Thanks for posting. (I still have my 17" G4 iMac, which I also LOVE the design of). Good to hear that another old school iPod is getting used regularly. These things are amazing!!

I agree that the Apple HiFi still sounds great after all these years.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I still use my 4th gen as my main music enjoying device. Got it back in high school after saving up for ages. It’s on its fourth battery and has a 32GB CF card in it which is plenty for my music library. My students are always curious about it when they see it sitting on my desk at school, though a surprising number of them have no idea what it is any more!

Also, for when I go out walking, I bring along my 16GB 6th gen nano - I like the little clip-on iPod!

IMG_4510.jpeg

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I still have my iPod 40GB still working on its dock and still having its original battery going on for few minutes on its own: amazing! I connect it to the beautiful Harman Kardon SoundSticks speakers
Love it them all, they bring me back to very good memories and they all still work super great
Harman Kardon.jpeg

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I still use my 4th gen as my main music enjoying device. Got it back in high school after saving up for ages. It’s on its fourth battery and has a 32GB CF card in it which is plenty for my music library. My students are always curious about it when they see it sitting on my desk at school, though a surprising number of them have no idea what it is any more!

Also, for when I go out walking, I bring along my 16GB 6th gen nano - I like the little clip-on iPod!

Great info, thanks for posting. It's always good to hear about original iPods still being used as intended.
Feels strange (but understandable, I suppose) to hear that some younger people today do not know what an iPod is.

Reactions: Slix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.