Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hanser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
I am still using the 2016 SE and it is working well enough for me. I do not do very much with the Phone, I prefer using iPad or Watch depending on the task. Who else is still using this model and how will you proceed in the future? Keep it as long as it works or upgrade soon, because it will not get updates any more? I must say, the main reason to upgrade would be for me the inability of my Watch series 7 to get higher OS versions. For the moment I am content with OS 8, though.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I had downgraded from a 12 Mini to a 2016 SE up until recently. I used it for 6 months prior to going back to the Mini. The SE is still a viable smartphone as I am a heavy user and watch a lot of media on various streaming apps, do a lot of web-browsing, listing to music and podcasts along with a multitude of other tasks. I reckon the phone will be fully supported by third party apps until iOS 17 is launched so you should have around a year to decide which phone to move onto.

I would suggest either the 13 Mini or 2022 SE as a replacement.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My son is using the SE2, but only because we upgraded him last year. He asked to keep his old one, which is fine (how can I say no when there are five other old iPhones on my desk). I see his SE on the home network all the time so I know he's still using it for something.

The SE series is a cool little iPhone. May go that route next time I upgrade.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
We have an iPhoneSE 1st gen that still works very well and is a form factor appreciated by someone with small hands and no need to view media. I noticed that it is on iOS 15.6.7 and will not upgrade to iOS 16 at all so apparently it’s the end of the line for anything but the occasional security update. Oh well, still keeping it though.

By the way, same issue for my iPhone7…done on iOS 15.6.7.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
My Dad was using an original SE until very recently when I gave him my old 12 mini, but was working fine.

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
I would still be happily using my 1st gen iPhone SE now except it didn't survive a short period of salt water immersion. I kept it in an Otterbox Defender case which made the phone feel just the right size in my hands. I replaced the battery at an Apple store last year when the health decreased to 80% and breathed new life into the phone.

I ended up getting an iPhone 13 mini after the price drop in September--it felt way too thin and slippery so I bought a thin case with integrated clear front and back protection. The combo is slightly thinner and a tad bit wider and taller than the SE combo, but it feels comfortable and secure in my hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.