Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredouil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Australia
hi,

i'd installed the 8a294 on my PB17(10.3.6), and after 10 hours i have still the blue screen and i'm waiting for the first login.

one of the issues of this release was to wait a long while for the first login but 10 hours, i'm feel screwed !!!

is it normal ? i have 72 Go of data perhaps its take while for spotlight to build the database and metadata.

how long did you wait ?

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
fredouil said:
hi,

i'd installed the 8a294 on my PB17(10.3.6), and after 10 hours i have still the blue screen and i'm waiting for the first login.

one of the issues of this release was to wait a long while for the first login but 10 hours, i'm feel screwed !!!

is it normal ? i have 72 Go of data perhaps its take while for spotlight to build the database and metadata.

how long did you wait ?

Before everyone jumps down your throat for being a crazy enough to torrent a beta OS and then go install it on a 3000 USD laptop - let me see if I can help you out.

The same thing happened to me. THe fix? A CLEAN INSTALL...that is, a complete system wipe and install. Reinsert the tiger dvd, boot it from the dvd and do a clean instal.

If you were mad enough not to have burned a dvd and installed from a .mpkg file, then yuo my friend are officially screwed. Go bust out your system discs, reinstall 10.3. If you then wanna go ahead and download tiger again..which im saying YOU SPECIFICALLY SHOULD NOT....seeing how your vast knowledge of computers has landed you in this prediciment.....then download it, burn it the image file to a dvd USING disc utility and then install doing a clean wipe and install...no upgrade or archive and installs.

again ---> im just warning you, you will probably get hate mail for being crazy enough to run a beta os as your primary os on a laptop as beautiful as the 17"

Cheers,

HBK

MY SETUP - 17" AlBook running OSX 10.4 - Build 294, 1 Ghz, 1 GB Ram, iPod 40GB 4th Gen, iSight, Lacie external 80 GB porsche drive

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
fredouil said:
hi,

how long did you wait ?
Perhaps you should e-mail the developer connection about the problem, and they can help you. Even better, why not call them on their support line, I think thats for premier members though. What are you developing?

fredouil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Australia
Heart Break Kid said:
The same thing happened to me. THe fix? A CLEAN INSTALL...that is, a complete system wipe and install. Reinsert the tiger dvd, boot it from the dvd and do a clean instal.

Go bust out your system discs, reinstall 10.3.

again ---> im just warning you, you will probably get hate mail for being crazy enough to run a beta os as your primary os on a laptop as beautiful as the 17"

Cheers,

HBK

MY SETUP - 17" AlBook running OSX 10.4 - Build 294, 1 Ghz, 1 GB Ram, iPod 40GB 4th Gen, iSight, Lacie external 80 GB porsche drive

thanks, i think i will wait until tomorrow ( juste in case, i'm hearing the HD is still working ) and make a clean install but i have a problem because i'd already tryed to boot on DVD (tiger) with Apple-C and it doesn't work !!!!!! i don't understand why :-(
i'm really screwed :-(

there is perhaps an issue with this release and the PB17 1Go !!!, we are not alone in this case.

perhaps, an ADC member can report this issue for me :)

bye

Fredouil

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
fredouil said:
thanks, i think i will wait until tomorrow and make a clean install but i have a problem because i'd already tryed to boot on DVD (tiger) with Apple-C and it doesn't work !!!!!! i don't understand why :-(
i'm really screwed :-(

there is perhaps an issue with this release and the PB17 1Go !!!, we are not alone in this case.

perhaps, an ADC member can report this issue for me :)

bye

Fredouil
<harshwords>Are you kidding me? crap, i am not even going to waste my time talking about your illegal crap. It is one thing to get it the wrong way....but another thing to ask people for help. You aren't developing a thing, and your knowledge is limited... Please start over from a legal version of panther and wait like the rest of us. </harshwords>

fredouil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Australia
jackieonasses said:
<harshwords>Are you kidding me? crap, i am not even going to waste my time talking about your illegal crap. It is one thing to get it the wrong way....but another thing to ask people for help. You aren't developing a thing, and your knowledge is limited... Please start over from a legal version of panther and wait like the rest of us. </harshwords>

:D

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
harsh words aside - we've all dont assanine things and had it bite us in the ass atleast once. I think we should all put aside the fact that the level of idiocity required to install a beta just for a few new features is so high, its rare...and just help this poor guy out.

So, did you burn the image using toast or disc utility? If you used toast to burn the image of tiger, you are screwed. If you used disc utility - then it should launch from the dvd. If it still doesnt work - then hold down the power button for like 10 seconds, until the comp shuts off, and start it up again - and see if you can log in - if not, try booting from the dvd after you restart again

if that doesnt work - well....i think other then the fact any1 reading this thread will feel vindicated - you will just have to wipe your PB, and reinstall panther..

word of advice - in the future, try not to ask people questions like this here - you might try MTKA or MSJ or something similar for all your illegal needs.

Cheers,
HBK

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
How many people in here are drooling over any little bit of information that comes out about Tiger? Well, people like this are a great source of that information. If people download Tiger, play around with early versions of it, and then when the real version comes out, download that as well and don't buy a legit copy, THEN bitch at them.

Bitching at people just because they love Mac OSX and are curious to see how the newest (and for me, most exciting) version is shaping up is a bit much. Let them download it and play around. As long as they don't pirate the final, legit version, they aren't hurting anything, and we get to hear fun stuff about all of the new options in the process.

And, BTW, before anybody bitches at me, I am not using Tiger nor have I downloaded any copies of it, no.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I agree with shidoshi. I haven't actually installed Tiger on my iBook, nor have I touched any computer running it. I wasn't at the the WWDC, and didn't get a DVD with it. Does this mean that if I ran across a copy that maybe a friend had, I wouldn't install it? No. I probably would. Would I also purchase Tiger in its entirety when it's released? You better believe it. I think it's just fine to test out beta versions of software. After all, that's all Tiger is at this point, a beta version.

As for the original question, I have no idea. :D

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
shidoshi said:
How many people in here are drooling over any little bit of information that comes out about Tiger? Well, people like this are a great source of that information. If people download Tiger, play around with early versions of it, and then when the real version comes out, download that as well and don't buy a legit copy, THEN bitch at them.

Bitching at people just because they love Mac OSX and are curious to see how the newest (and for me, most exciting) version is shaping up is a bit much. Let them download it and play around. As long as they don't pirate the final, legit version, they aren't hurting anything, and we get to hear fun stuff about all of the new options in the process.

I agree with your final point. However, the problem is that once someone has stolen once, it's much easier for them to go and steal again, especially when the consequences appear to be negligible. Sure in the case of the o.p. there were some bad consequences, but the final release of Tiger will end up in a torrent, and it will be extremely tempting for all the fake beta testers to grab that when it's posted.

The point is that once a boundary has been broken, it's much easier to keep on trespassing than it is to stop.

- Rod Rod, member, ADC

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
Rod Rod said:
I agree with your final point. However, the problem is that once someone has stolen once, it's much easier for them to go and steal again, especially when the consequences appear to be negligible. Sure in the case of the o.p. there were some bad consequences, but the final release of Tiger will end up in a torrent, and it will be extremely tempting for all the fake beta testers to grab that when it's posted.

The point is that once a boundary has been broken, it's much easier to keep on trespassing than it is to stop.

- Rod Rod, member, ADC

Right, but you forgot one small thing - there are consequences to using this beta os - freedouil can attest to that. Even I, who torrented it found out the consequences (my entire music library was wiped - may not be a big deal for yall, but i had 200 GB of music) . Does that suck for me? Sure. Im sure the dude started this thread wishes he didnt install tiger as well. Anyway, I just wanted to say there are serious consequences when you torrent a beta os. Also, we're all fans - just because we may take a torrent for the beta, does not mean we wont break out the wallets and buy the new os to support a company we really like.

all that said, I do understand your point - and any1 who actually does torrent the final release gets no respect from me.

Cheers,

HBK

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Heart Break, if you read the third sentence of the post you quoted you'd have noticed that I didn't forget that one small thing. :) Thanks, and yup final release torrenters deserve nothing but contempt.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
Rod Rod said:
Heart Break, if you read the third sentence of the post you quoted you'd have noticed that I didn't forget that one small thing. :) Thanks, and yup final release torrenters deserve nothing but contempt.

My bad :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.