Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
One of the stocks I’ve added in my stocks app changed their ticker, so now their original ticker is no longer active.

this caused the stock to be removed inside my Stocks app (or I removed it manually myself, I can’t quite recall). However, in my stocks Widget, the stock is still there. On my iPhone, the box that’s usually green/red to indicate the day’s performance is just shown as grey and without any data. In the stocks Widget on my Mac, it’s red and says the stock is down 3.15%, which I assume is the latest data it had before changing their ticker.

It’s kinda annoying to have this dead stock frozen on my widget. Does anyone know what I can do to sort of refresh it and have it removed?

Attachments

• F9BC1FC3-0098-4022-B889-88CD6C6BE6D6.jpeg
    F9BC1FC3-0098-4022-B889-88CD6C6BE6D6.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 2,340

obeliq

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Having the same issue. Hoping there is an answer besides setting up phone again...

EDIT:
Hey I had some luck. I remembered you could
Remove the basic apps now so I tried this and it worked!

Removed the stock widget from notification centre.
Removed the stocks app
Hard reset my phone
Redownloaded the stocks app
Added the stocks widget

At first it showed the dead stock but after a second it refreshes and removed it! It still has saved my stock list in the cloud I suppose but it must do an audit of some sort when you remove the app and reinstall it.

Hopefully works for you!

Last edited:

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Having the same issue. Hoping there is an answer besides setting up phone again...

EDIT:

Removed the stocks app
Hard reset my phone
Added the stocks widget

At first it showed the dead stock but after a second it refreshes and removed it! It still has saved my stock list in the cloud I suppose but it must do an audit of some sort when you remove the app and reinstall it.

Hopefully works for you!
Awesome, I’ll give that a try. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Edit: Tried it and works like a charm. Thanks again!

Last edited:

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009

EDIT:

Removed the stocks app
Hard reset my phone
Added the stocks widget

Hopefully works for you!

Do you know of a fix for the Mac? It doesn't seem you can download the Stocks app again from the App Store, so I'm afraid to actually delete it in the first place. I tried just removing the widget and adding it again, but that doesn't help

obeliq

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Do you know of a fix for the Mac? It doesn't seem you can download the Stocks app again from the App Store, so I'm afraid to actually delete it in the first place. I tried just removing the widget and adding it again, but that doesn't help

Are you referring to the old dashboard widget or the newer notification centre widget for stocks?

Reactions: felixen

obeliq

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
To the widget in Notification Center

I think the NC widget data is contained in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.ncplugin.stocks/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.stocks.plist

If you were to delete this file it would likely reset the stock widget and you could add back the stocks you wanted to track.

However, it seems like the file is protected by System Integrity Protection. I tried to remove it as a test and it immediately replaces it. You would likely have to reboot, disable SIP, then delete the file, reboot and enable SIP again.

That is above my pay grade for experimenting, unfortunately. Perhaps someone else will chime in..

Reactions: felixen

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks man. I think I'll stay clear for a while and just live with it. Sounds a bit scary lol :D

Reactions: obeliq
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.