Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnSG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2019
My iPhone was stolen Friday night - while it was unlocked and in use. Though I have a passcode, it should be noted.

(Point 1: the thief could have kept it unlocked by tapping the screen)

Within 20 minutes I was at a police station and a stranger let me call my device. It was now switched off.

(Point 2: sim card could have been ejected?)

I wasn't able to log into iCloud for another hour or so, to put the phone in Lost Mode. The phone was showing as offline by this point. Lost Mode is still pending.

(Point 3: the phone needs wifi or network connectivity to activate Lost Mode. )

2 days later (Sunday) I received a confirmed FRAUDULENT text message saying it had been located and to log into a genuine-looking iCloud landing page. I happened to have Find My iPhone open on another tab, and I could see it was still offline so I knew this wasn't likely to be true.

(Point 4: had I provided those details, the thief could have switched off 'Find my iPhone' or accessed my files - whatever his aim was. Keep this in mind if you find yourself in my position!)

So what am I actually asking ?

I had my moments where I thought I should just Erase my iPhone. - to protect my data and any personal dignity etc. I was advised this by a few Apple Support team members, too.

But if, like Lost Mode, Erase iPhone doesn't action until it's connected to wifi or network coverage, what's the point in setting it to Erase?

If it's not yet been connected to wifi or a network, Lost Mode wouldn't have locked the phone yet anyway.

If I make the assumption that this thief has been keeping the phone unlocked/alive all this time - he would have been able to grab whatever information / file / photo etc he wanted by now. He has managed to send me a fake text. Setting it to Erase iPhone isn't going to undo any of those (hypothetical) actions.

Am I missing something? I'm just not really seeing any added benefit, in my situation, of setting to Erase iPhone when Lost Mode is still pending after 3 days.

Would you set to Erase iPhone, or would you just wait to see if it ever pings again?

JohnSG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2019
If you listened to Apple Support, you wouldn’t have spent the time to write your post.

Wow, what a nice warm welcome to this community.

I had conflicting advice from the different Apple Support staff I spoke to (not necessarily the same issue) and so sought advice here.

JohnSG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2019
Thanks all for your confirmations/ideas. I've set to erase. RIP iPhone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.