Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szaynoun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
Cai
Hello,

I have a question about stolen iPhone renaming. My dad's iPhone was recently stolen.

When I log on to his iCloud account, the phone is showing as offline, and it shows that the iPhone's name had changed. It used to be called "iPhone" and now it's called "T".

I am wondering how the thief had the ability to rename the phone. Does it mean that the thief had the passcode (there is one suspect that we know has the passcode) or are there hacking tools out there that could enable the thief to rename the phone without having access to the phone's passcode or the Apple ID/password?

First time posting here, I apologize if I didn't provide all the necessary info. I will provide more info as needed.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Sam

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Hello,

I have a question about stolen iPhone renaming. My dad's iPhone was recently stolen.

When I log on to his iCloud account, the phone is showing as offline, and it shows that the iPhone's name had changed. It used to be called "iPhone" and now it's called "T".

I am wondering how the thief had the ability to rename the phone. Does it mean that the thief had the passcode (there is one suspect that we know has the passcode) or are there hacking tools out there that could enable the thief to rename the phone without having access to the phone's passcode or the Apple ID/password?

First time posting here, I apologize if I didn't provide all the necessary info. I will provide more info as needed.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Sam

You can erase any phone...don't put too much thought to this.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
He can erase it remotely. This will lock the phone making it unusable for the thief unless he has the Apple id and password. And the OP can always change the password.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.