Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
So sat down unlocked my computer and started to use only to have music and speech suddnely start coming at me seemingly from nowhere.

After shut down Safari and Firefox it was still there - also shut down Spotify. Still going.

Turns our it was a video embedded into and email in Appel Mail that jsut started autoplaying.

How do I disable autoplaying videos on Apple Mail ? Note I know there is the option not to download remote content - however I dont' want to use this option - normally I want remote content to download, I jsut don't want it to start playing videos by itself I dont' know in a meeting or something!?!?!?!?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If you ever even take a glance at spam emails you should disable "Load Remote Content". Loading the content in an email is one way (and often the only way) for spammers to know that your email address is a real one and active. Sometimes that's the purpose of spam emails…to collect a list, of active emails, that can be sold.

Reactions: Unsupported

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Note I know there is the option not to download remote content - however I dont' want to use this option - normally I want remote content to download, I jsut don't want it to start playing videos by itself I dont' know in a meeting or something!?!?!?!?

So, use the option NOT to load remote content in all mails and avoid web bugs and possibly malware and viruses in spam.

Click the option to load remote content in the individual emails that you want to. Simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.