Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaturnsLament

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2023
It has been well over five years since I've had any kind of malware on my MacBooks that create false Notifications, alerting to malware in Safari that does not exist in order to steal information or sell antivirus software. As I recall, to get rid of it before, it was a matter of deleting the Safari cache and web history. I've done that and more. I've looked through the Activity Monitor, looked through the /Library/ and ~/Library/ folders, deleted Safari's cache and web history, run ClamXAV, run Etrecheck Pro (paid), downloaded and run CleanMyMac X (I have a paid version but usually just maintain the license without having it installed on my device), run Onyx, etc., trying to stop these Notifications. They have persisted. With the exception of some processes identified in a separate post about suspicious iPhone processes, I have not located any system processes that would be generating these false Notifications.

Anyone know what might be causing it? I can only think that maybe its something from my Mail cache that is creating these Notifications, but I don't know how Mail would be creating Notifications in Safari.

It's very aggravating.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 2.10.54 PM.png

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Check your Safari Websites > Notification settings. A lot of these come from specific sites that were erroneously enabled. Deleting offending sites removes the issue.

Reactions: bousozoku

SaturnsLament

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2023
Check your Safari Websites > Notification settings. A lot of these come from specific sites that were erroneously enabled. Deleting offending sites removes the issue.
Interesting. There were two. The second was updaterglobal.com (no clue what that is). But the first was blank. Is there a way to find out what this site was? (I changed it to deny).

Thanks again!

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 2.26.24 PM.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Looks like a site that does not want you to know the name of the site.
I suggest the best action now is to go back to that website line, in the websites/notifications list.
Click on the line to select it, and then click the "Remove" button. (not just "Deny")
and, you're done...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks guys. 1blocker is only available via ios. And it seems its free. Is this right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.