Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
Basically, Id like to stop the MacBook from switching my input from the built in mic, my external mic, or whatever mic I select in the system preferences window to the airpods mic when I connect them to the macbook (as it makes sound output fuzzy and not nice). Is there any way to set a default input device? or a way to make the mac prompt me when i connect a new device? this is driving me insane

nanosaur

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2021
Heya,

AFAIK, MacOS doesn't have any built in configuration for this, so you'd have to install a third party tool like https://github.com/deweller/switchaudio-osx (available through homebrew).

Once installed, you'd just run

Code:
SwitchAudioSource -t input -s "Built-in Microphone"

and it'd switch the audio input from the current source to built in mic.

To automate it fully, probably best to use launchctl to monitor the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file for changes and then run a script that checks if the current input device is your airpods and then if it is changes it to the internal mic. If you just wanted to have it actioned by a key combo or something, could use automator instead. OF course this doesn't solve the problem of when you connect to the device the audio input will be switched until the script runs to switch it back.

It shouldn't be too complicated, but I don't have time to do a test loop today unfortunately. If interested, or if nobody knows a better tool, I'll post up a plist & script tomorrow :)

All the best

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac03ForLife
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.