Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Dammit people, please stop joining. It seems that every time I crunch my way up another position in the Mac Rumors SETI team, someone else joins and knocks me back down :(

Please, give a hard-working Aussie battler a chance to make something of himself!

[Note to all that have been taking things the wrong way lately - this is a joke. :D]

P

ptrauber

whatever

I actually debated leaving my computer on 24/7 on my three week road trip, just to increase my level in SETI, but I decided against it.

BTW- My road trip is going fine. I made it to San Diego and I have sucessfully seen the Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, and the Pacific all in my car. That was basically the whole goal of it. We spent the night in Nashville, New Orleans, Austin, and San Antonio and averaged 8 drinks a night. (You can infer for yourself on how my trip is going!)

Take it easy all!! I'll update you in a day or two.

-Pete

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
I have something to say, about the whole SETi thing...more about leaving the computer on really...I leave my computer on 24/7, my computer has not been 'off' for about, well, since I got it really. It does SETI when Im not there, that's it. I have 981 WU's done right now, and returned my last one about an hour ago. I have had no problems thus far, and all I really do for shutting it off is put it to sleep for a whole day about every 2 weeks/whenever I remember. Anyhow, just letting everyone know becuase I know it's SOOO interesting :)

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I was already to blast flame someone starting another Seti vs. Folding thread, but then it wasn't, thank goodness for that! :)

Ensign

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by Macmaniac
Man I wish I had a server to run SETI, I wonder how many units a rack full of X serves could do?
Lots.

That's my word of wisdom for the day ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Beej
Lots.

That's my word of wisdom for the day ;)

and a lovely word it is.....:D

I've been leaving my 450MHz G4 on 24/7 and its been cranking away, up to a whole 45 units now, but don't worry beej, I won't be able to catch you until I start putting all the extra machines at work on the job....:D

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet
and a lovely word it is.....:D
Wow, thanks man. I put a lot of effort into thinking it up. I wanted it to sound really intelectual. I think I succeded outstandingly well! ;)

I've been leaving my 450MHz G4 on 24/7 and its been cranking away, up to a whole 45 units now, but don't worry beej, I won't be able to catch you until I start putting all the extra machines at work on the job....:D
I've been leaving a set of G4/400, G4/933, G3/366 & 603e/200 on 24/7. I think it will take you a while to catch me :)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
i just run it all the time on my machines.

a pentium133 with linux.
a celeron 850 with linux.

my ibook.

they all run using the same shell script at bootup. it doesnt get in the way when im doing things because its at the lowest priority. it does suck some battery life tho :)

i only just started seti about two days ago so ill be working my way up :/

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I just joined the seti team...

Hi,
I am a seti newbie and a macrumors newbie...top that! Anyway I have 9 WU's since I joined a few days ago. I am running seti on the computer you see in my profile. Also I'm going to ask my dad if I can run seti on the G4 800 iMac, the G3 400 DV iMac, and the G3 500 ibook.(All running my account!:D)That should help me catch up a little. Feeling a little more threatened now beej?

-MacMaster

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I have it running on my computer generally 24/7 but when team MR came out, i couldn't switch teams as i forgot my password and lost my email so i lost those hundreds of WU's..how sad :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.