Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I have reported this issue before and now it is starting to get annoying. Every so often I keep getting a 'Manage your settings' window pop up when I visit this site and when I look into the settings I notice that whilst it has remembered my consent options, on your vendor list you keep having it reset the 'legitimate Interest' setting to 'Enabled' when I set it to 'Disable'. I've included 2 screenshots of this happening and for those who are going to say otherwise, no I did not move the slider to 'Enable'.

Please stop doing this. If you continue I will have no choice but to report this site to my countries data commissioner for rule breaches on website cookies.

macrumours.jpg
macrumours-2.jpg

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
GDPR story, huh?
As I know and found that processing data under “legitimate interests” requires that processing is absolutely necessary. If an alternative approach can fulfill the same goal without processing personal data, then processing is not lawful without consent.

Vague case, indeed. But seems that there no specific violations, except, why that toggle can be disabled without disabling if that Interest is neccessary

laptech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
GDPR story, huh?
As I know and found that processing data under “legitimate interests” requires that processing is absolutely necessary. If an alternative approach can fulfill the same goal without processing personal data, then processing is not lawful without consent.

Vague case, indeed. But seems that there no specific violations, except, why that toggle can be disabled without disabling if that Interest is neccessary
When you disable everything it should stay disabled but with this site, the request to 'Manage your settings' window pops up approximately 2-3 times a month and each time it keeps resetting the 'legitimate interests' toggle back to enable on all of them (nothing else changes, the cookie remembers all the other toggle settings, never the vendor list one). I think you will find that persistently overriding the users setting is a breach of the rules.

Reactions: appltech

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I've never seen that pop-up on this site before. Is there a way to access that screen to see what my settings are set to?

(The "View or modify your current consent given to the site" link found on https://www.macrumors.com/privacydmca.html doesn't do anything for me.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.