Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I bought this phone along with an iPad mini 5 for about the price of an 11 with tax here, so definitely decently priced in Canada. Not Apple’s fault that our dollar sucks and will probably get even worse going forward.

SE2+Mini5 is the power combo to have rn imo

Love this pair.

Still using my 2017 12.9 with ASK permanently attached for extended video use though..

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah but US is not a planet... something many Americans should be reminded. You know there’s something called earth, with over 100 countries... so if it’s budget in US it does not mean it’s a budget phone all around. It means it’s budget in US ONLY. As far as I know Apple sells iPhones all over the world; so calling it budget, without specifics, is just marketing bull... that pleases... Americans...
Apple is a U.S. company. Macrumors is U.S. based. Most of Apple's marketing push is...U.S. based.

Reactions: Elitegate

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
as of today $399US is 556$ CA... NOT 599$. it has been more or less so for months, even years. That’s near over 60$, with taxes, that Apple should charge considering exchange rates. So since you understand so much exchange rates...

Ok, so I'm just going to use the rates Spotlight shows me, which I believe are Yahoo, but it's close enough.

Right now it says 399USD is 563.04CAD. And they sell it for.. 599CAD? So it's a ~$36CAD (or.. $43CAD using your rate... not sure where "near over $60" comes from), 6.4% increase.

You're looking at a single-digit % difference from FX. A little over a month ago $399USD was $578CAD, but back in January it was $518CAD. You can't realistically expect their prices to constantly follow FX rates exactly.

Reactions: rui no onna

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The correct answer is exchange rate.

iPhone SE: 599 CAD = USD 430
MacBook Air: 1299 CAD = 933 USD

MacBook Air for example, was priced before the collapse of the CAD and now Apple is taking a hit.

CAD relies on natural resources and right now, those resources are cheap.

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Yeah but US is not a planet... something many Americans should be reminded. You know there’s something called earth, with over 100 countries... so if it’s budget in US it does not mean it’s a budget phone all around. It means it’s budget in US ONLY. As far as I know Apple sells iPhones all over the world; so calling it budget, without specifics, is just marketing bull... that pleases... Americans...
The U.S. does not set the rate of what other countries currency rates are ..It is what the dollar is worth in your country.

Reactions: brucemr

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The U.S. does not set the rate of what other countries currency rates are ..It is what the dollar is worth in your country.

I think you missed the point that poster was making. The exchange rate for the dollar simply means that the price is cheaper in some countries and not others. In the US it could be referred to as a budget device but elsewhere it could be much more expensive. Sure it’s not Apples or America’s fault, but this perception of ‘budget’ is very much determined by regional currencies. It’s £429 in the UK which is quite cheap for an iPhone, but if I was after a budget device, there’s many more cheaper alternatives.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Everyone has a budget. It’s a matter of the size and scale of their budget.

I don’t believe most people mean something derogatory when they call the SE a budget phone. It’s just a budget phone when you compare it the phones in the current line up of Apple iPhones.

Is this something to really be outraged about?

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
I bought this phone along with an iPad mini 5 for about the price of an 11 with tax here, so definitely decently priced in Canada. Not Apple’s fault that our dollar sucks and will probably get even worse going forward.

I’ve got an iPad Mini 2019 and an SE2. Perfect pair!

I love that you can get the really nice Apple leather cases for the SE2, unlike the 11. The 7/8 cases fit the SE2 perfectly.

I picked up a gorgeous leather case for my iPad Mini here:https://lusciousleatherny.com/produ...leather-tablet-sleeve-travel-mini-ipad-clutch

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
When you don't know how exchange rates work and the value of your country's dollar.
[automerge]1588371665[/automerge]
This is true.

No one who sees you holding a phone with the Apple logo on the back is going to say "oh, so you could only afford a budget phone, then?" ?
I'm going to think that. Then I'm going to point and laugh at the OP because they can't even afford a budget iPhone. This post is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Is it a budget phone or just a really good deal? I guess it just depends on who you ask. Enjoy your phones everyone.

I remember people making fun of the iPhone 8 too way back when. Didn’t stop me from buying one. Excellent phone, and I saved a few dollars too.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
He said portrait mode on the FaceTime camera, which it does not have. But who cares for $399 lol

It has the latest Portrait Mode. Portrait Mode on front + back, all 6 different Lightning Effects (including High-Key Mono), and Advanced Bokeh, and QuickTake, and Stereo recording. The camera is top notch. All powered by the A13
[automerge]1588432198[/automerge]
Yeah but as op would say, you’re not a planet. It’s not a budget phone in Montreal, so it is not a budget phone period.

But you also need to blame your country for that. Taxiation isn't Apple's fault. Also for the US - 399$ is the price with no Sales Tax included

Reactions: 26139

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
It’s starts at $399 in the US, which very much makes it a budget phone.
Apple this morning announced its highly anticipated iPhone SE, available in 64GB, 128GB and 256GB models in black, white and (PRODUCT)RED starting at $399 USD and $599 CAD in Canada. Apple Canada says the iPhone SE can cost $349 (CAD) with trade-in from apple.com, in the Apple Store app and Apple Stores.

That works out to $419 US on my calculator for the CA 64 GB model. Are you complaining about the price of the 128 GB model or the 256 GB model.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple this morning announced its highly anticipated iPhone SE, available in 64GB, 128GB and 256GB models in black, white and (PRODUCT)RED starting at $399 USD and $599 CAD in Canada. Apple Canada says the iPhone SE can cost $349 (CAD) with trade-in from apple.com, in the Apple Store app and Apple Stores.

That works out to $419 US on my calculator for the CA 64 GB model. Are you complaining about the price of the 128 GB model or the 256 GB model.

Think you quoted the wrong person. No complaints here.

oilers780

Cancelled
Apr 15, 2020
I wonder what's wrong with the phrase "budget phone?" If anything, the SE could be considered like a 2020 Acura ILX. The hardware could be considered slightly older (ILX is basically based off an older version of the Civic body), but it still carries the Acura brand name behind it and may have some modern features (Apple CarPlay or Android Auto w/ a touchscreen head unit). In this case, the iPhone SE has the slightly older design, carries the Apple brand name, and has some modern features (water resistance, wireless charging, etc).

Do people still buy the "budget Acura?" Sure. If they didn't, then the 2020 ILX wouldn't exist today.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
I doubt the "most" part of that in terms of the general populace.

On MacRumors, sure. I expect this forum has a disproportionately high percentage of well-heeled members.

It's the budget phone in Apple's lineup.
[automerge]1592328937[/automerge]
Can someone explain to me why people care that some on a tech forum would refer to the SE2 as a budget iPhone? Does it really matter?

‘Oh my god look, they’ve got a budget iPhone hahaha’ - says no one ever away from Mac Rumours.

Get used to the SE2, you’re going to see lots of these phones about, especially in the business and corporate environments. It’s a reasonably priced smartphone that offers the same experience as any other iPhone currently on the market. It just doesn’t cost as much. The end.

People pick fights on here for the strangest reasons.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It's the budget phone in Apple's lineup.
It's the budget iPhone, I agree.

However, unless one can get it at discounted pricing (e.g. $199 Walmart deal), the iPhone SE is more of a mid-ranger in terms of the broader smartphone market.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
It's the budget iPhone, I agree.

However, unless one can get it at discounted pricing (e.g. $199 Walmart deal), the iPhone SE is more of a mid-ranger in terms of the broader smartphone market.

Okay. Curious as to why we're having this sort of discussion on an Apple forum, but aight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.