Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Communicator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Hi all,

I'm using Geektool to show when I've last backed-up with Time Machine.

To get the info on screen I use:

defaults read /private/var/db/.TimeMachine.Results BACKUP_COMPLETED_DATE | awk '{print "date -j -f \"%F %T %z\" \""$1FS$2FS$3"\" \"+%B %e, %Y at %r\""}' | bash

The following shows on the desktop:
July 14, 2013 at 04:59:51 pm

Could someone tell me what I need to delete from the programming above to avoid showing the details of the seconds? The seconds, that's too much info!

Thanks for reading and any help.

Communicator

corporategadfly

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Hi all,

I'm using Geektool to show when I've last backed-up with Time Machine.

To get the info on screen I use:

defaults read /private/var/db/.TimeMachine.Results BACKUP_COMPLETED_DATE | awk '{print "date -j -f \"%F %T %z\" \""$1FS$2FS$3"\" \"+%B %e, %Y at %r\""}' | bash

The following shows on the desktop:
July 14, 2013 at 04:59:51 pm

Could someone tell me what I need to delete from the programming above to avoid showing the details of the seconds? The seconds, that's too much info!

Thanks for reading and any help.

Communicator
Replace:
Code:
at %r
with:
Code:
at %I:%M %p
Cheers.

moonracer

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Are you using this in Mavericks by chance? Mine is no longer displaying in Geektools on the desktop.

I'm getting an error when I execute within terminal and nothing is displayed in Geektool.

CODE:
Code:
defaults read /private/var/db/.TimeMachine.Results BACKUP_COMPLETED_DATE | awk '{print "date -j -f \"%F %T %z\" \""$1FS$2FS$3"\" \"+%B %e, %Y at %I:%M %p\""}' | bash

ERROR:
Code:
The domain/default pair of (/private/var/db/.TimeMachine.Results, BACKUP_COMPLETED_DATE) does not exist

Thanks,
mr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.