Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
I'm not even sure if this appeared just now (I was using Monolingual as well as trying to stop Spotlight from indexing external disks such as Time Machine backup) but this is when I noticed it.
My whole system is installed in English, but I'm not in an English-speaking country or time-zone, and the machine's input source is set to match my non-English keyboard.

The issue is that if I search for certain native apps by their usual English names, Spotlight is showing the results in my local language instead; It's showing the result as a translation, whenever it's available. For example, apps like Calculator and Stickies get translated, but things like Mail and iTunes are more like brand names thus don't have translations. When I go to /Applications, of course the app files are intact and in English just like they were installed with the system. I tried changing my time zone and tested if Spotlight would then bring those results in the corresponding language, but no, it's still translating them to my local language.

Another inconsistency I've been aware of before is the fact that in dates, the name of the weekday or the written form of month name also won't conform to the system language but will be expressed according to the time zone instead. While it would be great to fix if there is one, the date format inconsistency is merely a minor annoyance because I rarely see those two things written. But getting Spotlight results in a different language sure is annoying because it messes the consistency of a system, and you'll be slower to respond when the thing you're searching for is found, as the result's name doesn't reflect your actual search phrase in any way.

I'm assuming that I can't use Monolingual to delete my local language, because that would also delete the keyboard layout, which I need.

G4 PowerPC.

I had also ran this command in hopes of stopping the indexing of external volumes, but when it didn't seem to do the trick, I tried to use the next command to undo if there was something to undo. The second command didn't go through because the guide is for Snow Leopard and there seems to be a significant change in the OS there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.