Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Is there any way to stop the URL moving in the Safari address box? It always used to be on the left, but in Yosemite it starts there then moves to the centre. This means that if I want to modify it I click the address, it then moves to the left and I have to chase it over there. I've found it a pain ever since upgrading to Yosemite but am surprised to see no mention of it or any other complaints.

0d085d

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
You can effectively fix this for longer URLs by going into Safari's Preferences, clicking the Advanced tab, and checking the Show full website address box.

You're still stuck with it centering URLs that fit in the address bar though. Have you noticed that you can click anywhere in the address bar to edit it? I'd suggest just clicking on the far left and waiting for the URL to come to you.

DanyellJackson

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2017
Is there any way to stop the URL moving in the Safari address box? It always used to be on the left, but in Yosemite it starts there then moves to the centre. This means that if I want to modify it I click the address, it then moves to the left and I have to chase it over there. I've found it a pain ever since upgrading to Yosemite but am surprised to see no mention of it or any other complaints.

Isn't it obnoxious!? I'd sure like to get my hands around the neck of the person who designed Safari and Spotlight for Yosemite/El Capitan/Sierra. Absolutely terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ish

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Isn't it obnoxious!? I'd sure like to get my hands around the neck of the person who designed Safari and Spotlight for Yosemite/El Capitan/Sierra. Absolutely terrible.

You guys are aware that that you can click anywhere in the address bar, right? It's the same for Safari for iOS.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Why not just click on the left to begin with? You can click anywhere.

I use Safari daily and it's never occurred to me that this is an issue.

Reactions: jbarley

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Why not just click on the left to begin with? You can click anywhere.

I use Safari daily and it's never occurred to me that this is an issue.

I'd forgotten I'd written this, August 2015! However, just to add, if you want to change something in the middle of the search query it's easier if it stands still!

polishedStaple

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
Just checking in to see if anyone has found a solution for this annoying problem? Can't we type something in using Terminal to stop the URL from always centering itself?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.