Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floral

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Sorry for frequent posting here, but I have one last question..

I like using emoticons. Not emojis. Such as, I use this: B) and not this: :cool:
Sometimes, I come across an emoticon that the site turns into an emoji whenever I send it. It looks like an emoticon when I type it, but the moment I press send, they all morph into compressed images of cartoon people.

As an example, saying : ) (without the space) would turn into :).
Also, : D (also without the space) would turn into :D.

A workaround would be to use the spaces whenever I use emoticons, but this is time consuming and makes them look considerably less charming. So the question is, how do I make them stop doing this?!

Thank you ;3 (that's an example of one that doesn't change)

Reactions: Analog Kid

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Code:
:D test [ICODE]:D[/ICODE] test

:D test :D test

That is built into the forum software, so I can't think of a way to disable it. As a workaround you can enclose the emoticon in the icode tags and that will stop it from converting, but it looks a little off.

floral

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Code:
:D test [ICODE]:D[/ICODE] test

:D test :D test

That is built into the forum software, so I can't think of a way to disable it. As a workaround you can enclose the emoticon in the icode tags and that will stop it from converting, but it looks a little off.
Yeah, I'll have to do that every time it seems... thank you though

Reactions: Weaselboy

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
There is a trick... ;
)

The trick is to put a line separator character (Unicode U+2028) in between the eyes and mouth. :
)

It's not the most easy thing to type though. You'd probably want to create a keyboard shortcut for this character (or your emoticons as a whole). Select the invisible character between the angle brackets to copy this magical character (or copy everything and carefully remove the brackets) >
<. :
p

Now you know! :
D

(I also tried the zero-width character, but the forum software is too smart for that. :()

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Yeah, I'll have to do that every time it seems... thank you though
There's another tag that also works, but it's the same length as ICODE, so not simpler.

The tag is [PLAIN]. :D
To make those appear, I put each one between a [plain] and [/plain].

Reactions: Nermal

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I cut & pasted the : from Wikipedia where it says:

"For these usages the proper Unicode symbol is ∶ (U+2236 ∶ RATIO) that is a little higher up than the normal colon"

floral

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
There's another tag that also works, but it's the same length as ICODE, so not simpler.

The tag is [PLAIN]. :D
To make those appear, I put each one between a [plain] and [/plain].
Oh! Perfect. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.