Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2017
Macbook Pro 13" (early 2011) previously running on High Sierra. Tried to install Monterey using the Open Core Legacy Patcher and did not work. Recovered to High Sierra but I suppose the EFI boot still has remnants of the patch including verbose booting. Tried several Terminal sudo commands but no result. Is there a way to fully restore the boot record on this early 2011 MBP 13"?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
restart with the Option, Command, P, and R keys held down, and release them after the second chime.

Using sudo nvram boot-args="" in a terminal followed by reboot (after the sudo command line you have to type in your password “blind”) should work on your machine too.

adias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2017
First I rebooted with Option-Cmd-P-R and only heard one chime and would see the usual user login screen. After further research I realized I had a firmware pwd. After disabling that by booting into Recovery mode (Option-R) and removing the firmware pwd I was able to boot with the NVRAM clearing procedure and it worked. All well. Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.