Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apfelbaum

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Germany
Hello,

my 2017 MacBook Pro is most of the time sitting on my desk and connected to my tv, so I can use it for work and also watching tv shows and movies. Since I don't need to take it with me outside that often, I normally let it being connected to my tv all the time, I use Apples adapter for that, which lets me connect power, a HDMI cable and a USB-A device to it.

This generally works fine, but one behavior of the Touch Bar is getting really annoying. Every time I turn on the tv these options for using the external display (guess in English show connected screen, synchronize the screens and expand the desktop) pop up and take over the whole Touch Bar and stay there permanently, even after the tv is turned off again.

touch%C2%A0bar-bild-2017-11-21-um-22-28-32-png.737457

Of course I can dismiss it by tapping on the far left X, but having done this now probably almost a hundred times, this gets really annoying.

I don't never needed these screen options and them taking over the whole Touch Bar result just in getting in my way sooner (normally I want to darken the main display when watching a movie on my tv) or later (as I said the display options practically stay there forever even when turning off my tv). So is there a way to simply just turn off this behavior and let the Touch Bar ignore me turning on the tv?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Touch Bar Bild 2017-11-21 um 22.28.32.png
    Touch Bar Bild 2017-11-21 um 22.28.32.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 191

apfelbaum

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Germany
Not really a fix but a workaround I found: As many might know, under system preferences -> Keyboard you can set the touchbar to show the function keys again and this keeps the monitor options from taking over the touchbar. Then I set F8 and F9 as shortcuts for changing the screen brightness and everything is fine again :)

If anyone knows another way to fix this I still would like to know it, since of course basically I turn off this way all the other functions of the touchbar (however so far it didn't really impress me and I don't miss any functions it offered).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.