Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I have never encountered this before. It was happening everywhere that I saw this popup but now it's just when I open the Facebook app. I went to settings and it said Facebook was taking up 37.4 GB! How is this possible, and is there any way to clear it?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have never encountered this before. It was happening everywhere that I saw this popup but now it's just when I open the Facebook app. I went to settings and it said Facebook was taking up 37.4 GB! How is this possible, and is there any way to clear it?
Cached videos and pictures? Alas, aside from deleting the app and re-installing, I have yet to find another fix.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I didn't know how too before and had to restore my iPad Air 2 to clear "Other."

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Cached videos and pictures? Alas, aside from deleting the app and re-installing, I have yet to find another fix.

What if I don't want the most current version of Facebook, can I delete it and reinstall the app from backup in iTunes?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
What if I don't want the most current version of Facebook, can I delete it and reinstall the app from backup in iTunes?
I believe so.

Mind, last time I did something similar was back on iOS 4/5. Didn't want to upgrade the iPod Touch 4th gen to iOS 5 but the latest version of the Stanza app didn't work properly on iOS 4.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

as long as you still got the old Facebook IPA on your iTunes u can still synch that version yeah. back up the ipa just in case cuz iTunes may overwrite it with the latest and u will have to manually replace it with your backed up older version

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I believe so.

Mind, last time I did something similar was back on iOS 4/5. Didn't want to upgrade the iPod Touch 4th gen to iOS 5 but the latest version of the Stanza app didn't work properly on iOS 4.

Yup, worked wonderfully (knock on wood.) Thanks.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
It has to be cache. Do you have the HD video setting enabled?
Maybe your iPhone is just full of HD video from Facebook.
Delete and reinstall the app, it will take a minute

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Yikes! Just checked, FB is sucking up 5G on my phone. Luckily I have room to spare. Still, time to delete and reinstall.

leal.rh

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2018
TX

Facebook not only takes a big chunk of your iPhone's storage memory due to your Timeline, Photos and Videos, but the Facebook App itself, slows down your iPhone drastically due to the extensive RAM requirement.

I found an AWESOME FIX, DELETE your iOS Facebook App altogether, then use Safari and Log in to your Facebook account, and instead of creating a not so convenient bookmark, you will create a link by pressing the Safari "send" icon, and choosing the +"Add to Home Page" option, which will create the recognizable "Facebook Icon" link, as if it were your Facbook app. I did noticed my iPhone a bit faster, as well as freeing up almost a gig of data.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
Yup the iOS and Android FB apps suck. Been that way for a long time. I use an app called “Friendly” from the App Store and also have a web interfaced saved to my home screen. Haven’t used the actual FB app in a long long time. Everyone on iOS and Android complains about it. There are post on some of the Android forums that it’s one of the first apps you should delete if it came preinstalled on th phone.

leal.rh

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2018
TX
Yup the iOS and Android FB apps suck. Been that way for a long time. I use an app called “Friendly” from the App Store and also have a web interfaced saved to my home screen. Haven’t used the actual FB app in a long long time. Everyone on iOS and Android complains about it. There are post on some of the Android forums that it’s one of the first apps you should delete if it came preinstalled on th phone.

So that’s what it’s called a “web interface” and not an “identical FB app icon bookmark link thingy”, but not to be confused with a user interfacebook in my space. AOL

As for me, I learned two words.

Thanks bud.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Facebook not only takes a big chunk of your iPhone's storage memory due to your Timeline, Photos and Videos, but the Facebook App itself, slows down your iPhone drastically due to the extensive RAM requirement.

I found an AWESOME FIX, DELETE your iOS Facebook App altogether, then use Safari and Log in to your Facebook account, and instead of creating a not so convenient bookmark, you will create a link by pressing the Safari "send" icon, and choosing the +"Add to Home Page" option, which will create the recognizable "Facebook Icon" link, as if it were your Facbook app. I did noticed my iPhone a bit faster, as well as freeing up almost a gig of data.
I've disabled background app refresh and force close Facebook anyway on the few times a year that I open the app. FB is currently sitting at 400MB on my iPhone and 300MB on the medium iPad. Apparently, don't have it installed on the big iPad. :p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.