Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j.kuka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
I did a clean install of Monterey from a USB flash drive. The Mac needs to be online during the installation (not only for the initial activation of the device), so I connected it to a Wi-Fi. During the setup (after the "Hello screen") I skipped the Wi-Fi configuration. I still have a Wi-Fi in my keychain, though - the one the system connected to during the installation.

Two things are different from a "normal" Wi-Fi setup:
(1) There is only 1 entry in the keychain - the system-wide entry; the local one was not created.
(2) I can't "read" the password. The Mac is able to connect to the Wi-Fi, but if I unlock the password field, there's just a very long alphanumeric entry; the password is not visible to me.

I'm wondering now: Do I still need a local entry for the Wi-Fi in my keychain? Should I perhaps delete the Wi-Fi and add it again in "the right way"? As far as I can tell, it works fine.

(I'm aware that the Wi-Fi password would not be stored in iCloud which is fine for me since I don't use it.)

j.kuka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
It seems there is no need for a local key for someone who doesn't use iCloud. If I add a new Wi-Fi and switch to another user, this user is able to access the newly added Wi-Fi by using the system-wide key.

j.kuka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
I didn't realize it's such a hot topic. The number of responses is just overwhelming. This is my last post on this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.