Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Hello - I know there's many storage questions! I'm trying to figure out whether I should get 128GB or 256GB of storage. When making my decision I obviously like to see how much I'm using. On my iPhone 12 mini, it states I have about 49gb free. I'm using 79/80GB of storage. This is after I went on deleting a bunch of photos. So I'm using 80 out of 128. Seems I could just get 128.

However - when I connect my iPhone to my Mac, on Coconut Battery, it said I'm using 111GB out of 128 which tells me, 256 would be needed.

Which is more accurate? I'm currently on ios15. I have 200GB of iCloud storage and I'm using half of that.

So which should I use as a guide for my next purchase - iPhone storage or coconut battery?

Thanks!

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Your iPhone is just caching photos that you have in iCloud. That data can be freed up any time by the operating system to make space for other stuff, so iOS is reporting a larger free space number to you.

Reactions: Ifti

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
Not directly answering your question, though iPhone storage reporting is a bit flaky and opaque sometimes. But I'd offer another vote for getting the 256GB. If you intend to keep the phone for a long time, it keeps your options open (running out of storage has often been the deciding factor that has forced me to upgrade in the past), and even if you plan to upgrade relatively soon, you will recoup some of the cost in greater resale value.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
thanks everyone. I was on the fence about 256 vs 128. I was pretty sure I only needed 128 but part of me just thought, "what about next year".

thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.