Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Hi,

After placing a pre-order on the 8th for a midnight aluminium series 7 and getting it the 15th, I decided to return it because of some issue with the charging time. And after getting a better look at the different finish, I was willing to switch to stainless steel, so I placed an order and I’m in the 18-24 nov queue now.

Of course I would love to get one earlier… so I’m checking the Apple Store app daily or so, but nothim shows up on it. So I was wondering, could it be possible that at least some Watch would be available in store, but would not show up on the Apple Store app or website ? Maybe to keep a few available for walk-in customers… if anyone could confirm this theory, so I now if I should try my chance or not. By the way I am in France, just in case the strategy on this aspect changes from country to country.

Have a nice day everyone ?

Reactions: 21Southwick

m-e

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
FWIW Amazon in France just improved it’s availability from 23rd to 19th for some SS silver and graphite 45mm AW7.

Which leads me to think we should be able to find some in Apple Store, but would love some feedback from anyone who has experienced this ?

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
I’m wondering too if people have had any luck getting any series 7 watches for in store pickup.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I thought that something must be either wrong or intentionally turned off in the app/on the website, but I've been in a couple of stores this week and asked about inventory (have been able to look at the inventory on the store person's phone as they check inventory). I think the website and the store app are basically correct, at least here. Store inventory is nearly nada for the Series 7 watch right now.

Reactions: m-e and Alhagar

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
I was able to find what I was looking for this morning available for pickup at a few NYC Apple Stores. There seemed to be a few other options available as well.
450847CF-2D63-473E-9646-570E126EA8D5.jpeg

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I was able to find what I was looking for this morning available for pickup at a few NYC Apple Stores. There seemed to be a few other options available as well. View attachment 1883148
Odd. I dont see an option for Aluminum Midnight case with any leather band options on the website. When I go online, I get only the Sport band and Sport loop band options with the midnight case. Can you tell us how you found this option?

Either way, congrats on the find... ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alhagar

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
Odd. I dont see an option for Aluminum Midnight case with any leather band options on the website. When I go online, I get only the Sport band and Sport loop band options with the midnight case. Can you tell us how you found this option?

Either way, congrats on the find... ?
I just created a bunch of favorites yesterday using the Apple Watch Studio to combine cases and bands and then when I checked them this morning I saw that some of those combinations were available at a few stores around New York. Just a combination of trial and error and persistence. Good luck!

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I’m wondering too if people have had any luck getting any series 7 watches for in store pickup.
I picked up a 45 ssgraphite last week in st. louis and this morning there were some aluminum in all colors and ss silver available for in store pickup according to the website

Last edited:

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Yes, keep checking the app. Set up favorites and have a look every morning. Since launch I’ve reserved and/or picked up SBTi, silver SS, and graphite SS. Pick “common” case-band combos and you should find something. Titanium has been by far the hardest to score this last week.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I just created a bunch of favorites yesterday using the Apple Watch Studio to combine cases and bands and then when I checked them this morning I saw that some of those combinations were available at a few stores around New York. Just a combination of trial and error and persistence. Good luck!
Great, thanks for the tip.

21Southwick

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2018
The District
Hi,

After placing a pre-order on the 8th for a midnight aluminium series 7 and getting it the 15th, I decided to return it because of some issue with the charging time. And after getting a better look at the different finish, I was willing to switch to stainless steel, so I placed an order and I’m in the 18-24 nov queue now.

Of course I would love to get one earlier… so I’m checking the Apple Store app daily or so, but nothim shows up on it. So I was wondering, could it be possible that at least some Watch would be available in store, but would not show up on the Apple Store app or website ? Maybe to keep a few available for walk-in customers… if anyone could confirm this theory, so I now if I should try my chance or not. By the way I am in France, just in case the strategy on this aspect changes from country to country.

Have a nice day everyone ?
I had been thinking the same thing and had been experiencing similar issues. I live in the greater Washington DC area and we have 9 different Apple retail stores within about a 30 minute drive. On release day they had a number of models in stock. The catch is the only have models of SS with starlight sports bands or graphite stainless steel with starlight or black sports band. Models shown on the website are special order only. I know it seems counterintuitive but that's how it is working at our stores. I was able to get the model I wanted but only with the sports band and not as seen on the website. In general though I have found most of the 45mm are sold out when I have visited the apple stores in person. It can be any version. The best thing to do is check very early in the morning when the stock is first released. All of the color bands are release with similar sports bands only. Not the ones seen on Apple's website. I have also been able to order for family members from Amazon or Target etc and found the lead time to be about a week. It is a matter of just checking back and buying them and then canceling the one that ships the latest. Sadly it is a bit of a game with the shipping delays but if you keep trying you will get the one you want in a reasonable amount of time. In the states check Best Buy, Target, Amazon and Walmart. The stock fluctuations day to day but they come in and ship time is normally a week or so. Best of luck. I ended up with 2 total for myself and another family member. One from Apple in person and one from Target.com

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
FWIW, I ordered the 41mm and 45mm Midnight watches from Best Buy last week. I already received the 41mm this week and will be getting the 45mm next week. Another bonus is that their extended holiday return period has already started, so I have until January to decide which size I want to keep...or if I want to keep them both.

If you don't have to buy from Apple, I think you'll get your hands on a watch sooner if buying elsewhere.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
I wanted to buy directly from Apple to take advantage of the carrier subsidies for Cellular models. T-Mobile (my carrier) doesn’t even offer it if you order direct from them; it has to be directly from Apple. Excited to try Cellular again (it’s been 3 years or so).

mrwalleyeman

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2010
Eastern Wa
I was able to check my local store and got a stainless steel series 7 last week. I checked the store everyday several times a day for about a week. Now checking for the new 13pro max.

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
For some reason my apple store app isn’t updating. But website showed some rare titanium models ready for pickup yesterday. So check the web browser apple store and you might have some better luck!

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Both Apple Store app and the web store show no silver stainless steel configs avail anywhere near Washington D.C. area. The list showed 10-12 potential stores -- all unavailable. I guess these units are slow coming.

bp

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I've found that stores are getting new inventory every 2-3 days. The stores dont show all thier inventory the apple website however. They keep 3-5 of each item in reserve. They dont want to be dealing with a customer in-store, telling them that they have xyz in-stock, only to have the last one bought online while the sales associate is entering the sale into the system.

So, there are times you can walk into a store and find something in-stock, when it doesn't appear on the website. I tried calling the local store to chaeck the local store inventory, but it goes to corporate customer service and they can only see what we see on the website, so calling doesn't help. You either wait for it to appear on the website, or drive to the store and see if they have anything.

I hope this info helps some folks.

Yesterday, the local store put some new stock online, so I was actually able to score a cellular model that I wanted, although I had to settle for a band that I didn't care for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.