Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DB10101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2022
I use an old 2014 Mac mini as a headless file server for my home office. My desktop computer is a 2018 Mac mini with very limited hard drive space.

I have several email addresses I manage, some from gmail, some from other providers. All together it's a large volume of email and attachments. I would like to get them off of the corporate servers and store them on my local server.

I thought the easiest thing would be to configure the server's mail client to use POP and download all of the emails and attachments to the local drive.

But then how would I be able to read and access them from the desktop computer?

Any idea how I can read emails/attachments that are stored on the server while sitting at my desktop? I'm not wedded to Mac's native mail app; I'd consider using something else.

Thanks

Added bonus if I can use the mail client to move emails and attachments into subfolders of my documents folder, so they can be stored with other files that are related to the pertinent topic. (For example, I'd like to save auto-debit notifications from certain vendors in the same folder where I store other receipts and invoices).

Thanks

Edit: Running Monterey on both machines, in case it matters.

agregson

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2020
Hi,

I have maintained my own email server and access for many years. Admittedly it has been for secondary accounts and domains in recent years but for many years from around 1993 it was my main solution. I have never found an easy way to run these on macOS which is a shame. I also don't want to go down Linux route as it becomes painful at almost every step - it may be Unix-like but it is no Apple!

My preferred option for small mail servers has always been VPOP3. I first came across it around 1993 on CIX (conference system I am on since 1988). The chap who develops it works and runs the small business and has plodded away for many years incrementally improving it. When mail became a thing in 90s I installed this for many clients and kept it at my own business for years (before being persuaded to go to Exchange and that is another story ....).

A neat feature it has always worked well with is collection of mail from POP3 and support for multi-user POP3 accounts. Back in 90s this was great - blink every hour and grab mail to keep limited POP3 account from filling and sort at local level. It also supports conventional SMTP delivery. The files and systems used to store it are easily accessible and it has all sorts of options. It includes an IMAP/POP server so will work with any mail client (works fine with Apple for me) and has a webmail interface that is very useful. It is simple, easy to configure, super reliable and does what it does. At £30 for 5 users what is not to like? It would not even begin to pay for the time to consider how to setup on Linux.

Another option (sadly not macOS) is a Synology NAS with the excellent mail services. These can work similar to VPOP and collect mail or take SMTP delivery and offer local server, web and so on. You can add other features via NAS such as time Machine server, file server, Plex server and so on.

One option I have often thought of on a Mac is to run VirtualBox probably headless and run Windows 10 then VPOP or even Synology OS (which can be done though with dubious legality much like macOS on non-Apple).

A final option could be a Raspberry PI though I am reluctant to suggest it. I like the PI and it is great for what it does. Any time I start to make it do things beyond it's reach I find it becomes costly in $$/££ and time, unreliable and a bunch of hassle. Given a small mini PC such as I run my Windows on (HP EliteDesk 800 i5 3.4Ghz 8GB 240GB SSD Windows 10 Pro picked up on eBay in pristine condition for £60+p&p) of infinity superior quality is available at what is basically cost of basic PI I would not suggest it.

Sorry this is not more help but hopefully something of interest. Happy to discuss or assist further if it is of any help.

A

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Although the replies above are valid, I’d reckon they’re overkill. Just log into your 2014 from the 2018 (Go, Connect to Server, browse, select the 2014 & log in using the deets) using screen sharing as any other way will involve the Mail being downloaded to both machines / mail programme being on both machines.

agregson

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2020
My solutions are indeed overkill! Just offering a suggestion or two.

MailArchiver could also be worth a look? Mail Backup X also works well. Very handy for keeping a backup of Gmail and others. Email Archiver Pro is one I have been meaning to checkout. Looks good and can create a searchable archive of various email providers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.