Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjang1993

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2019
Hi all,

To make a long story short, I live abroad and I’m looking at leaving my Gen 1 iPhone SE and Bose QC35ii headphones at my parents house when I go back home. While I don’t have my much use for these products (I have a 12 mini as my main phone and will buy a SE Gen 2 or XR as a backup), they do have sentimental value. I heard that it’s preferable to leave the phone and any lithium ion battery charged electronic at 50% and top them off every 3-6 months. My parents aren’t that good with technology to keep them stored according to those parameters and I don’t know if they’d be able to top off batteries every couple of months. I read that if you leave any lithium ion battery at 0% for a prolonged period of time, the battery will fail and won’t charge. Is the next best alternative to keep the headphones and iPhone SE plugged in all the time like one would do with a laptop? I have 100% battery health on the Gen 1 SE, and no noticeable degradation in battery health on my QC35ii’s which is why I want to preserve those numbers. I would imagine if I use the old slow charging Apple 5 watt charger and put it on airplane mode with wifi and Bluetooth disabled, it’ll reduce the heat to some degree, and any charging would be trickle charging whenever it drops past 100%. Thanks in advance for the advice guys.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Why not take them with you and do the battery management yourself.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Maybe charge the iPhone to 80% and then shut it off. That way it’ll be high enough so it won’t go to low even after a long period of time.

Keeping it on the charger and at 100% for years would not be good for the battery or the device. I think that would be the worst thing to do.

Reactions: turbochgd

jjang1993

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2019
Why not take them with you and do the battery management yourself.
I’m really trying to downsize my electronics drawer amongst other things. I’m an ESL teacher and I’m in a new country every two years or so. I’m really aiming for that super minimalist lifestyle after healing 40kg of suitcases this last week! I also am eyeing getting a pair of Beats Studio3 headphones and getting an iPhone XR to replace the Gen 1 SE as my backup phone. Having three phones and three pairs of ANC headphones would take up a lot of space in a suitcase/backpack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.