Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wubbzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Right now I have my Mac syncing all the photos that I take with my iPhone. But I'm running out of space on iCloud, so I want to transfer the photos from iCloud/iPhone to my Mac, but I want to make sure I understand the system correctly. I was going to do the following:

1) On my Mac -> Photos -> Preferences, turn off "iCloud Photos". At that point, all the sync-ed photos should disappear from the Mac, right?

2) Connect my iPhone to my Mac with a USB cable, and import all the photos from the iPhone to my Mac. That downloads the full resolution photos to my Mac, and that should empty my iCloud, right?

3) Going forward, I would need to keep "iCloud Photos" turned off on my Mac, right? If I take a new photo with my iPhone, and I want to edit it on my Mac, I need to manually transfer it (either via cable or Airdrop), right? There is no way to automatically sync new photos from my iPhone to the Mac, right?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.