Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mxguy729

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
The galaxy s3 on straight talk uses either sprint or Verizon depending on the area you are in. That's how it gets lte. AT&T recently announced that mvnos would start to have access to hspa+ and lte. Whether or not they have implemented that yet I don't know. I think they will start soon considering the AT&T SIM cards are back on the site. Also just a side note that cricket is not an mvno. it is an independent carrier with its own network.

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Well ATT LTE now works on straight talk with a LTE simcard for only $6.99 from their website I already ordered mine so I guess that proves you wrong doesn't it....

I was told by a Straight Talk Call Center Manager in the BYOP department, that as long as your Sim card if provisioned to the tfdata APN, there is no need to purchase a new Sim card, and the 4G/LTE depended on the HARDWARE. (a 4G/LTE compatible phone, and an actual 4G/LTE network in your area)

I don't have a 4G/LTE compatible phone right now, so I can't confirm, but my Sim card is almost 2 years old, it originally was provisioned to the att.mvno APN, then about 5 months ago, my data stopped working and I was told that I needed to update my APN to tfdata.

As soon as I changed my APN to tfdata, my data was restored...THEN, I ran into issues with my MMS... it took about a month for the system to fix itself, and for my MMS to start working again.

my iPhone 5s is on it's way...so i'll know if my AT&T ST Sim that is almost two years old is 4G/LTE compatible. (I did purchase a few extra sims while they're on sale for $6.99 though..lol)

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I was told by a Straight Talk Call Center Manager in the BYOP department, that as long as your Sim card if provisioned to the tfdata APN, there is no need to purchase a new Sim card, and the 4G/LTE depended on the HARDWARE. (a 4G/LTE compatible phone, and an actual 4G/LTE network in your area)

I don't have a 4G/LTE compatible phone right now, so I can't confirm, but my Sim card is almost 2 years old, it originally was provisioned to the att.mvno APN, then about 5 months ago, my data stopped working and I was told that I needed to update my APN to tfdata.

As soon as I changed my APN to tfdata, my data was restored...THEN, I ran into issues with my MMS... it took about a month for the system to fix itself, and for my MMS to start working again.

my iPhone 5s is on it's way...so i'll know if my AT&T ST Sim that is almost two years old is 4G/LTE compatible. (I did purchase a few extra sims while they're on sale for $6.99 though..lol)

I picked up the new ST sim and can confirm LTE works great in my unlocked att i5. Even did the TMO sim trick and was able to get back MMS and still use LTE. Getting about 20 Mbps down speeds.

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I picked up the new ST sim and can confirm LTE works great in my unlocked att i5. Even did the TMO sim trick and was able to get back MMS and still use LTE. Getting about 20 Mbps down speeds.

Are you running iOS7? I read on another forum that the T-Mobile Sim swap wasn't working with the Beta iOS7.

smotania

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Boston, MA, USA
I'm with ios 7 and did the swap it's kind of tricky and u have to be really quick, as i said is not impossible :) just dont give up.

Little tip: when you do the swap u have to pull out the t mobile card while is says searching when u r in the menu. So my suggest is to swap the sim cards a few time so the phone get confused :). Thats how i did my and my roommates phone. Good luck

Last edited:

stuser

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
Texas
Beezy253 - I did the SIM swap with iOS 7 on my unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 and was able to get data & MMS working.

I was having trouble getting it to work at first...this might help:

1. Put in the T-Mobile SIM in and navigate to the APN settings.
  2. Press the home button twice and jump into a different App (I used Apple's Notes App).
  3. Take out the T-Mobile SIM and insert the Straight Talk SIM and let it register on the network.
  4. Press the home button twice again to change back into the APN settings screen. (You have to be quick on the next step because the APN wants to keep switching back to "phone.")
  5. After you enter all the APN info - scroll back up to the top to make sure the phone kept what you entered before hitting the back button to exit the settings. You may have to reenter the APN again if the phone replaced it with "phone."
  6. After exiting the APN settings then reboot the iPhone, open Safari and wait a min for the internet to connect.
Hope you're able to get it to work! Let me know if something there doesn't make sense. I tested the MMS by iMessaging myself and then as it was sending holding on the picture and clicking "Send as Text."

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Beezy253 - I did the SIM swap with iOS 7 on my unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 and was able to get data & MMS working.

2. Press the home button twice and jump into a different App (I used Apple's Notes App).
  3. Take out the T-Mobile SIM and insert the Straight Talk SIM and let it register on the network.
  4. Press the home button twice again to change back into the APN settings screen. (You have to be quick on the next step because the APN wants to keep switching back to "phone.")
  5. After you enter all the APN info - scroll back up to the top to make sure the phone kept what you entered before hitting the back button to exit the settings. You may have to reenter the APN again if the phone replaced it with "phone."
  6. After exiting the APN settings then reboot the iPhone, open Safari and wait a min for the internet to connect.
Hope you're able to get it to work! Let me know if something there doesn't make sense. I tested the MMS by iMessaging myself and then as it was sending holding on the picture and clicking "Send as Text."

Same steps I took! Enjoying my $45/mo LTE and I have yet to be throttled :)

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Just had an odd result. The process above, same process I used will NOT take on my wife's phone. I can enter the apn settings but for whatever reason they won't stick. :(

smotania

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Boston, MA, USA
I think this new apn setting work only with newly activated sim cards because i alrady tried on mine which os old one and it couldnt activate celluar data. My roommate has old sim but he just activated and will try to see if the LTE is goin to work with old sim card and i will let you know

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I can confirm that LTE is on even with old sim card which was activated a couple days ago and it is with the new apn settings

It's not the sim, it appears the be the activation timing. Old sims were activated under att mvno new sims are under tracfone

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I'm with ios 7 and did the swap it's kind of tricky and u have to be really quick, as i said is not impossible :) just dont give up.

Little tip: when you do the swap u have to pull out the t mobile card while is says searching when u r in the menu. So my suggest is to swap the sim cards a few time so the phone get confused :). Thats how i did my and my roommates phone. Good luck

Thanks for the info.. i'm coming from a Jailbroken iPhone with access to the APN settings, without having to do the sim swap trick.. I don't understand why Apple hasn't enabled the menu for unlocked phones.

smotania

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Boston, MA, USA
Thanks for the info.. i'm coming from a Jailbroken iPhone with access to the APN settings, without having to do the sim swap trick.. I don't understand why Apple hasn't enabled the menu for unlocked phones.

Is not apples fault it's att who block the apn settings menu.

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA

Thanks again! I read your instructions before I did the swap to make sure I didn't miss any steps, and it worked on the first time!

Curious, How often do YOU have to re-enter the APN settings?

**SCRATCH THAT!!!! I am able to receive MMS (Usually when your MMS is broken, you can send, but you can't receive).
When I send an MMS, it goes through without any errors, but the recipient doesn't receive it... I turned iMessage off and tried sending an MMS to myself and my Sister.. Going to try again later tonight.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.