Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

My experience (see post) will be:

• Vastly different

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

arctair

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
Ok, once and for all, this is the answer I need:

Let's say I have an iMac and Mini (assuming most recent releases) with the exact same internal specs (minus whatever onboard video exists): Same chipset, same chip speed, same memory, same 1 GB internal SSD, same things I'm forgetting, etc. I know this isn't exactly possible, but you can get close.

On the iMac, I'm driving a single built-in 5K monitor with a built-in Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory. I'm editing (RAW photos and videos); I'm rendering them.

On the Mini, I'm driving a single (almost identical, from what I understand) LG UltraFine 5K monitor with a Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory inside a Razor Core X over TB3. Let's assume the most current version of Catalina or Big Sur fully and robustly supports eGPUs. I'm editing (RAW photos and videos); I'm rendering them.

Theoretically and/or practically, am I going to have a different experience, and if so, why?

Going one step further, when AMD comes out with its next big thing, am I not going be able able to swap out the 5700 XT, add a bigger PSU if necessary, and be better off than the iMac?

I know this has been touched upon and, in related ways, discussed at length on other (older) threads, but I need -- at least to start -- a binary answer, circa late October 2020. Hence the poll.

Thanks y'all.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I had a few iMac’s. Most recent 2015 27”. I now have a MM 2018 i7 with a Vega 56 eGPU 38” Dell 4K.

What I loved about the iMac was simplicity, it just worked. What I hated was it’s only 27” and the ports in the back.

What I love about the MM is the Screen, the Screen. What I hate is it doesn’t always work smoothly with eGPU like the iMac.

I would go iMac if they had a 32” -34“ option, otherwise I am staying MM.

Reactions: Ursadorable

arctair

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
I had a few iMac’s. Most recent 2015 27”. I now have a MM 2018 i7 with a Vega 56 eGPU 38” Dell 4K.

What I loved about the iMac was simplicity, it just worked. What I hated was it’s only 27” and the ports in the back.

What I love about the MM is the Screen, the Screen. What I hate is it doesn’t always work smoothly with eGPU like the iMac.

I would go iMac if they had a 32” -34“ option, otherwise I am staying MM.
So when you say the screen, I assume you're talking about not being limited to 27". Do you game? I'm currently driving a single curved 32" 4K monitor with my, as I call it "hospice" Late-2012 mini, and I... ha... "strongly dislike it." I'm gonna need a neck brace. Maybe if you game there's a tendency to constantly looking left and right that the curve actually benefits, but I don't know what I was thinking. I've I've come to realize that my 25" 1440p was my favorite monitor ever. Would love to see a 5K at that size, but I know there are scaling maths and also people just like big.

For my primary, right in front of my face monitor, I like to be able to move just my eyes, not my head.

Enjoyable tangent, but let's get to the point: In what ways "doesn't always work smoothly"? The Vega 56 isn't state-of-the-art, but it's no slouch. What eGPU are you using?

38" at 4-5 ft makes me cry lol. Also assuming your vote would be "vastly different".

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Theoretically this question is easy to answer. An eGPU is connected via TB3, which has the bandwidth equivalent to PCIe X4. A graphics card connected directly on the motherboard will be using PCIEx16. So that is 4 times the bandwidth.

Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 08.59.12.png
Therefore you will have a worse experience using the eGPU solution

Practically though the question is much harder to answer. Just how will this bandwidth limit impact you depends on what you are doing. In games you will certainly be losing some frames. I cannot tell you exactly how many because direct comparisons are hard to find for that particular graphics card.

Take a look at this video for a comparison of the RX580. In some games it's almost nothing, in others it's around 5 frames difference and in some games it's 10

But the RX580 is around 45% slower than the 5700 XT, so, in theory, it will be more impacted by the bandwidth restrictions.

Reactions: jackerin

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Theoretically this question is easy to answer. An eGPU is connected via TB3, which has the bandwidth equivalent to PCIe X4. A graphics card connected directly on the motherboard will be using PCIEx16. So that is 4 times the bandwidth.

View attachment 975306

Practically though the question is much harder to answer. Just how will this bandwidth limit impact you depends on what you are doing. In games you will certainly be losing some frames. I cannot tell you exactly how many because direct comparisons are hard to find for that particular graphics card.

Take a look at this video for a comparison of the RX580. In some games it's almost nothing, in others it's around 5 frames difference and in some games it's 10

But the RX580 is around 45% slower than the 5700 XT, so, in theory, it will be more impacted by the bandwidth restrictions.

It is definitely noticeably slower on an egpu than internal, due to the bandwidth.
Also eGPU is a pain in the arse.
But I also prefer not to have an AIO...... its really just weighing it all up I guess.
Also benefit is you can upgrade an egpu.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
So when you say the screen, I assume you're talking about not being limited to 27". Do you game? I'm currently driving a single curved 32" 4K monitor with my, as I call it "hospice" Late-2012 mini, and I... ha... "strongly dislike it." I'm gonna need a neck brace. Maybe if you game there's a tendency to constantly looking left and right that the curve actually benefits, but I don't know what I was thinking. I've I've come to realize that my 25" 1440p was my favorite monitor ever. Would love to see a 5K at that size, but I know there are scaling maths and also people just like big.

For my primary, right in front of my face monitor, I like to be able to move just my eyes, not my head.

Enjoyable tangent, but let's get to the point: In what ways "doesn't always work smoothly"? The Vega 56 isn't state-of-the-art, but it's no slouch. What eGPU are you using?

38" at 4-5 ft makes me cry lol. Also assuming your vote would be "vastly different".

Yes I really enjoy the larger screen. Especially when having full size documents side by side by side, with a little room left over. I would be disappointed going back to 27", I had that for almost 3 years. Now I could go 32 - 34, and if they did that with a 5k iMac, I would have interest down the road.

Im using a Asus RX Vega56 Asus XG Station Pro. I game sporadic, last was the Shadow of the Tomb raider and the eGPU made a pleasurable experience. I use to always leave it on, but lately I just keep it off. Gaming is the only reason for me to have it at this point. I have FV on so the restart when using the eGPU is very inconsistent, sometimes it works but most times it force shutdown because of blank screen, turn off the eGPU then restart back up, turn eGPU back on.

arctair

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020

View attachment 975306

The PCIe connection difference was an obvious overlook. I read so much about TB3 recently I think i convinced myself it was just as fast as anything plugged right into a motherboard bus.

It also means that theoretical card upgrade in the eGPU would probably result in nothing. Unless...

In a game, we're talking about non-stop rendering of frames. The card is getting hit as fast as it can. Editing and rendering small videos — even if they're say 8K — the card is getting that in something less than real time, so the question is does your bandwidth restriction problem come into play more with gaming, or across the board (pun intended).

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I would say probably not. But take a look around all the various issues people are having with their eGPUs on these forums before making any decisions.

arctair

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
Thanks for the straight answer. I have looked around; it seems many have been monitor recognition issues — many seemed to have been resolved with late versions of Catalina (or there is a sense of hope/people have found in the beta) that they are resolved. Also usually involve disk monitors. But unfortunately it looks like I'm not gonna get what I want — I'm either gonna regret eGPU issues with the Mini, or the fragile, non-upgradable (and big $ up front, with the fear I can get my current work done with a maxed Mini sans-eGPU) fragile behemoth that is the 27" iMac.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
I'm in the club of the people who have eGPU issue with MM2018.

I have constant kernel panic related to eGPU after wake up (the log talk about some AMD driver etc). I'm using a Razer Core X and Sapphire Nitro+ 580.

After several days of use I can't get it to work as stable as I need. Luckyly my Razer was bought from Amazon and today I made the decision to give it back.

Reactions: arctair

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
I retouch 16-bit, 30 megapixel RAW files (160MB files) everyday and I have a Mini and an RX 570 card with only 4 GB VRAM. Photoshop operations like the healing brush, clone stamp tool, liquify, etc. are pretty much in real-time. So Photoshop performance is not really going to get faster than doing things in real-time.

The new AMD card is out this week and it's an absolute monster.

But to my point. If you are concerned about photo editing you can't go wrong with either solution-both will be extremely capable machines. If you want a gaming machine I can't comment because I don't know the answer to that.

arctair

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020

I have constant kernel panic related to eGPU after wake up (the log talk about some AMD driver etc). I'm using a Razer Core X and Sapphire Nitro+ 580.

After several days of use I can't get it to work as stable as I need. Luckyly my Razer was bought from Amazon and today I made the decision to give it back.
Well, it's definitely on the compatibility list. Ws anyone else able to give you any indication of what might be going wrong before you returned it? Will you simply be working with the onboard graphics now, or upgrading to something besides the 2018 Mini?

Reactions: CC88

arctair

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
I retouch 16-bit, 30 megapixel RAW files (160MB files) everyday and I have a Mini and an RX 570 card with only 4 GB VRAM. Photoshop operations like the healing brush, clone stamp tool, liquify, etc. are pretty much in real-time. So Photoshop performance is not really going to get faster than doing things in real-time.

The new AMD card is out this week and it's an absolute monster.

But to my point. If you are concerned about photo editing you can't go wrong with either solution-both will be extremely capable machines. If you want a gaming machine I can't comment because I don't know the answer to that.

I wonder if you're having less issues because you're using an all-in-one GPU that comes with the card built in. Which new card that came out this week are you referring to? I'm starting to think that these aren't eGPU issues, but eGPU box/card combo issues.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
Well, it's definitely on the compatibility list. Ws anyone else able to give you any indication of what might be going wrong before you returned it? Will you simply be working with the onboard graphics now, or upgrading to something besides the 2018 Mini?

I'm thinking of buying another box and another card. But, box and card in the list below:

Box could be another Core X (in any case I have returned mine) and a card of Pulse family instead of a Nitro+.

Sure I'm not an AIO man :)

Last edited:

arctair

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
I'm thinking of buying another box and another card. But, box and card in the list below:

Box could be another Core X (in any case I have returned this one) and a card of Pulse family instead of a Nitro+.

Sure I'm not an AIO man :)

Ah I didn't notice that Nitros weren't one the list; Pulse def is

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018

I have a 2018 MM, Razor Core X and Sapphire Nitro 5700XT and (knock on wood) have had no issues as of yet. Are you running Mojave or Catalina?

Last edited:

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
I have a 2018 MM, Razor Core X and Sapphire Nitro 5700XT and (knock on wood) have had no issues as of yet. Are you running Mojave or Catalina?

I'm running Catalina 10.15.7. Tried Mojave but it was even worse... With Mojave when I tried to eject my eGPU the system shutdown immediately. Also the sleep function no more worked, immediately wake up but no more signal on the monitor. A disaster.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
I wonder if you're having less issues because you're using an all-in-one GPU that comes with the card built in.
That's a good question. Thought it works great on my machine, that might not be universal. I'm thinking there could be software/firmware conflicts or something.

The good news about iMacs is they are guaranteed to work really well with the built-in graphics cards. That's the beauty of them.

Which new card that came out this week are you referring to? I'm starting to think that these aren't eGPU issues, but eGPU box/card combo issues.
AMD Radeon RX 6000 is an absolute beast. It will be a while before it's supported for Mac, but high-performance graphics cards are the new black.

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
I have a 2018 Mini and use a Razor Core X with a Sapphire Pulse RX 580, and while I have had issues in the past I have a stable set up now. I run two displays via the Razor and one via the Mini's HDMI port. I'm using the latest version of Catalina.

The display connected to the Mini gives me the start up screens and the system boots up fine. Previously I was using a HDMI plug in the Mini, with two displays on the eGPU. No start up screens but it would boot up fine (the full steps to make this work can be found elsewhere on this forum). Prior to using the HDMI plug I could not boot with the eGPU without plugging and unplugging things, highly non-optimal.

Others on the forum have reported that with the latest update to Catalina they no longer need to use the Mini's HDMI port and can boot without issue using only the eGPU. I've not yet tried connecting all three displays to the eGPU.

Good luck whatever you decide.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
Maybe there was something faulty on my setup. Without the eGPU at the moment no kp after wake up. Finger crossed.
Also the RX580 pulse is in the apple compatibility list (the nitro+ is not mentioned at all). Maybe they differ in firmware or other components. I don't know.

I'm looking for a stable eGPU configuration now I will go only for brand and model suggested by Apple.

Reactions: MevetS

arctair

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
That's a good question. Thought it works great on my machine, that might not be universal. I'm thinking there could be software/firmware conflicts or something.

The good news about iMacs is they are guaranteed to work really well with the built-in graphics cards. That's the beauty of them.

The bad news is I don't like my computers to be composed mostly of expensive glass. So, I am going to try a Razor Core X (ordered) with some variant of a Sapphire RX5700 (not ordered; currently shopping) with a 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (in cart, with the Late-2012 as a trade-in discount of $160; not ordered, in cart). We'll see how it turns out.

Which is why I wonder if Apple will continue to support newer AMD cards unless they actually end up inside an iMac, Pro, etc.

AMD Radeon RX 6000 is an absolute beast. It will be a while before it's supported for Mac, but high-performance graphics cards are the new black.
There you go... and very true, which is why I hope not being for sure stuck with a 5700 inside an iMac is the smart move. (Knowing that in reality, it could be all I really need for next ten years. But like I said, I like seperate components, and I don't like my computers made of glass lol.

Reactions: weaztek

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
That sounds like a very good robust system. The only problem you might find, and a small problem is file vault on and power up. Its not huge pain. Its an easy work around. But it is a work around. Congrats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.