Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
I'm on T-Mobile. At my house I connect to 5G and have no problems. However when I go around town, my phone will connect to a 5G signal but when it shows I'm on 5G I have no data. I can switch off 5G and it'll connect to LTE and data works fine. I've tried toggling airplane mode and rebooting the phone and it doesn't help.

It's really strange because this is happening in multiple locations around my area, the 5G signal usually shows full bars, but I get no data connectivity (I can however make calls). When I'm at my house, however, there is never an issue with 5G and it works fine.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
I think this relates to this issue;

It might be, but that article mentions issues with both 5G and LTE as well as the phone showing “no service”:

“Several users report suddenly losing all reception bars and seeing a "no service" message on their ‌iPhone 12...”

That’s different than what I’m seeing. I’m not losing bars or service with this issue and it’s only when the phone connects to 5G.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
So I think I finally fixed the issue. It’s strange because I’ve tried rebooting the phone, setting it to LTE then back to 5G, and toggling on and off airplane mode when seeing the problem and those things didn’t help.

What did seem to help was actually toggling off and then back on cellular data settings.

Sounds like an iOS issue.

alangore

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
My 12 Pro is on Verizon. Some apps error out with "not connected to network" when I'm on 5G Auto, and running LTE alone gives me faster speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.