Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
Hi all, I have a strange problem with my iPhone 7.

For the last few charges, I have abnormally high usage statistics which I’m sure you’ll all agree are inaccurate.

I suffered some heavy battery drain the other day so I drained the battery and recalibrated and that seems to have done the trick other than the high usage information.

The phone is 13 months old with 95% battery health. I have background app refresh off and do not overcharge the phone. As you can see, there doesn’t appear to be a rouge app that is causing the issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I have a Genius appointment booked for tomorrow and will request they replace the battery.
2e4363e7e1ecc855f9ef8eba14324527.jpg
ae65004ce4418ae481f903990cb157cc.jpg

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
When you plug your phone in do you get the vibrate and chime acknowledgement that the phone is charging?

After I updated my iPhone 7 to 11.3-11.3.1 most nights when I plug in before bed my phone will charge and I get the charging lightning bolt indicator on the battery but I don’t get the vibrate or chime and my battery usage stats don’t reset even after a full charge. So I’ve been having to reboot most nights to get the vibrate and chime and to get my stats to reset when fully charged.

If your phone is charging and vibrating and chiming and the stats are resetting after a full charge like normal then you might just have a stuck process. Try rebooting.

Ben2094

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2018
Germany
Im pretty sure its the Official Reddit App. Have you left the App in Memory after using it ? I had the same Problem with my 91% 7 Plus and my 10.5 iPP

Reactions: CreamEggBear

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
The battery should be fine if it has 95% health. Most likely it's a bug with iOS 11.3.1, there are lots of discussions here an on reddit about it. Try updating to 11.4 beta, it helped for some users with the same issue.

Also, you can try reinstalling iOS and setting up your device as new (make an encrypted backup first!). If the issue won't come back no need to replce the battery as it was iOS and not hardware.

p.s. Don't restore the backup before you will make sure that the issue dissapeared/still there.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Is the screen shots the ONLY apps in use? Are we not seeing any other apps in use (ie. Podcasts, Music, games, etc)? In one shot, Reddit is on top, yet on the other, Messages is above that. So, without knowing what other apps might be in use, hard to tell. For example, people report that the Facebook app is a huge battery user.

That said, not seeing anything to complain about. Yes, maybe a bug in reporting the usage number, but the standby number is pretty impressive (21hrs since last charge and only half the battery used).

Apple might not replace the battery, depending if the phone is still under warranty as the cheap replacement program is for out-of-warranty devices. And if under warranty, needs to be at 80% life.

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
Thank you all for the suggestions.
I have force restarted the phone and the high usage stats remain the same. Network settings have also been reset.

There is no apps running in the background such as Apple Music or Spotify that would cause the usage to go up so high.

A good suggestion on the Reddit app though. The drain started a few days after I installed it. Would it cause drain even though background app refresh is off?

I’ve uninstalled it for now to see if that is the culprit.

Apple have stated that the battery is in good health and only 206 charging cycles. The employee even commented on how good the condition of the phone was.

I’ll keep you all posted and thank you for the suggestions.

Last edited:

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
When you plug your phone in do you get the vibrate and chime acknowledgement that the phone is charging?

After I updated my iPhone 7 to 11.3-11.3.1 most nights when I plug in before bed my phone will charge and I get the charging lightning bolt indicator on the battery but I don’t get the vibrate or chime and my battery usage stats don’t reset even after a full charge. So I’ve been having to reboot most nights to get the vibrate and chime and to get my stats to reset when fully charged.

If your phone is charging and vibrating and chiming and the stats are resetting after a full charge like normal then you might just have a stuck process. Try rebooting.

The phone chimes as normal and apart from the usage statistics, runs fine.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I’ve seen it happen on a 6s with 11.3.1 as well. It can be midday and it shows 5 hours of usage time. And I couldn’t have been using it non-stop since I woke up. It’s a ‘feature’ to make you feel like you’re getting better battery life!

Reactions: CreamEggBear

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
I’ve seen it happen on a 6s with 11.3.1 as well. It can be midday and it shows 5 hours of usage time. And I couldn’t have been using it non-stop since I woke up. It’s a ‘feature’ to make you feel like you’re getting better battery life!

The sooner we get rid of iOS 11 the better!

Ben2094

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2018
Germany
A good suggestion on the Reddit app though. The drain started a few days after I installed it. Would it cause drain even though background app refresh is off?

I’ve uninstalled it for now to see if that is the culprit.

I had Battery drain from the App with background refesh off. It was just in my Memory/Ram after using it. And a soon as i closed the App, it stopped the drain. I think its a unknown bug that was introduced like 4 weeks ago with an Update to the Reddit App. Im using Apollo since and the problem is gone.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Disable Location Access for the App Store.
[doublepost=1527319356][/doublepost]Last resort do a DFU restore.

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
I had Battery drain from the App with background refesh off. It was just in my Memory/Ram after using it. And a soon as i closed the App, it stopped the drain. I think its a unknown bug that was introduced like 4 weeks ago with an Update to the Reddit App. Im using Apollo since and the problem is gone.

I’ve since moved over to Apollo and monitoring the battery.

NoDrawllz

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018

[doublepost=1528171811][/doublepost]Same here. iPhone X.

BillyNelson

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013

This is plagging me since first iOS 11 version. Totally random, absolutely horrible problem, makes the phone totally unreliable to me, because I don't know when I'm going to run out of battery. Reboot, goes away, comes back in a few days. Tried *everything*. Nothing worked for me, once in a while, it happens. iOS 11.4 has been one of the worst in my experience.

Uhser

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
This is plagging me since first iOS 11 version. Totally random, absolutely horrible problem, makes the phone totally unreliable to me, because I don't know when I'm going to run out of battery. Reboot, goes away, comes back in a few days. Tried *everything*. Nothing worked for me, once in a while, it happens. iOS 11.4 has been one of the worst in my experience.
So, I used to choose not update to the latest version. Hope you can solve the issue asap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.