Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adm1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2021
Hi, I’ve searched the interwebs high and low for an answer to no avail.
I bought an original MacBook from a friend with a qwertz German keyboard. It was woefully slow and overheating so I opened it up and cleaned it best I could, and put on new thermal paste. It only worked intermittently while plugged in so I replaced the battery and charger and it now charges fine and holds a decent charge for its age. Trouble is now, one morning it suddenly shut down and won’t reboot - it sticks at the Apple logo and has a large glitched graphic in place of the mouse pointer that I can move around. Yet it never proceeds beyond the Apple logo. I’ve restarted, reset pram and the other one, no change. So I booted from an original Lion install disc, erased the drive and reinstalled Lion. All going well until I tried to restart, and it stuck on the Apple logo again with a glitched 5cm square on screen (moveable) for the mouse pointer.

any ideas to what is broken, it is a hardware issue? The one last thing I was gonna try was to fit a zif ssd in place of the Samsung hdd but I fear the issue lies elsewhere.
Thanks
Adam.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 138
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.