Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hello and have a nice day!
I have tried unsuccessfully (until now) to find help in the Windows and other OS section of this forum for a strange issue so hope to be more lucky here.

Having been forced to re-install Bootcamp Windows 10 in my MacPro (End 2013), I find now in the option-key start-up menu two entries for Bootcamp. :confused:
Of course there is only one Bootcamp Windows in the only inner SSD drive. :rolleyes:
For further information, I use presently Sierra on the Mac partition and through its Bootcamp Assistent, Win 10 was re-installed.
Not knowing where the start up menu is in the system :( and how to edit it (assuming there is a way to do it :confused:), I woud be very grateful if someone with more knowledge than the poor one I have, helps me to get back a normal choice menu on start up with just one Bootcamp option.
Thank you very much in advance! :)

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I suspect there is some corruption in the partition table or there is a stray partition.
macOS runs GUID partitions, while legacy mode Windows (BootCamp) runs MBR. Boot Camp Assistant creates a shadow MBR record to point to the real Windows partition. This might have gotten mixed up during the multiple installs.

First thing I would do is boot into recovery with CMD-R at boot time and run a repair in Disk Utility. All have a look at what you see, when you enable "Show All Devices" under the View menu. If there is a stray partition, it might show up. You can then try to delete it. If it is small, I would just forget about it after that. Otherwise you can see whether Desk Utility allows you to merge the space into your HFS+ or APFS partition.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I suspect there is some corruption in the partition table or there is a stray partition.
macOS runs GUID partitions, while legacy mode Windows (BootCamp) runs MBR. Boot Camp Assistant creates a shadow MBR record to point to the real Windows partition. This might have gotten mixed up during the multiple installs.

First thing I would do is boot into recovery with CMD-R at boot time and run a repair in Disk Utility. All have a look at what you see, when you enable "Show All Devices" under the View menu. If there is a stray partition, it might show up. You can then try to delete it. If it is small, I would just forget about it after that. Otherwise you can see whether Desk Utility allows you to merge the space into your HFS+ or APFS partition.
I trank you heartily for your Goodwill to help me.
I will do as you say and hope to solve it.
Trank you very much!
I appreciate it very very much! :)

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland

Dear Haralds
I booted as you said and used the First Help to check the Mac Partition and saw that an Image was still in the Disk Utility List.
Maybe that Image was the reason of the second Bootcamp entry.
Now when booting I only see the Mac, the Bootcamp and the Recovery entries.
I hope it remains so thanks to your very kind help! :)

May I ask if you know if it is possible to keep HFS+ when updating Sierra by using a Terminal Instruction someone put some time ago in the Forum (this in spite of having a SSD inside my MP End 2013)? :confused:
I made some time ago a thread in the High Sierra section asking precisely that question but got not a single answer.:oops:
I am truly scared :eek: of passing to APFS since
1) having only one inner Drive in my MP, I use several external USB drives and sometimes boot from one of them.
I am afraid this won't work with APFS inside :eek:
2) Besides I have the NTFS Windows 10 sharing with OSX that single inner drive...:eek:
With HFS+ I can interact between Mac HFS+ and Win10 NTFS and that will no longer be so AFAIK using APFS :(
If I can Upgrade Sierra and still keep HFS+ it would be more or less as now.
Thank you very much for your kind answer in advance! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.