Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kelowna77

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
So last night when I went to bed I put my phone 8 on the wireless charger. It was about 30% when I put it on at around 12:30am. At about 5:30 I was awakened by a chirping, it was constant and sounded almost like a fire alarm. It took me a minute to figure out it was coming from the phone. I was able to turn it down but as soon as i let go of the volume button it turned itself back up again. I restarted the phone and it seemed ok. I noticed the battery was at 2%, which means it wasn’t charging either. As soon as I put it back on the charger it started again. So I started troubleshooting.

I restarted again to stop it, then plugged it in via cable. The chirping began again. Restarted again, and took it to my car. Plugged it in via cable to my car and it charged fine with no chirping.

So I go inside and grab the charging cable and wireless charger from the bedroom and take them out to the living room so I don’t wake the hubby. I placed the phone on the wireless charger plugged in in the living room, no chirping And charging as normal. I plug-in via the cable in the living room, no chirping and charging as normal. So at this point I’ve determined it’s something to do with either the power bar or the plug in the bedroom. I assume it’s the power bar.

I go back to the bedroom and plug the charging plate into the wall directly. As soon as I put the phone down on it the chirping begins again. So I restart the phone again and try the plug below it. The plug below it causes no chirping at all. So I plugged the power bar back into that plug and I have no more problems and the phone charges as normal.

Is this a feature of iOS or the iPhone 8 that warns you in an unstoppable way of a faulty outlet or possibly too much charge coming in? I’m thinking this might be why my 6s battery is unable to keep a charge despite being replaced about a year and a bit ago since it’s always been plugged into that outlet. Anyone have any ideas or know anything?

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Seems like it's a safety feature. Probably added with iOS 11 since the newer phones have wireless charging. If third party charging pads work with the iPhone 8 and X (I wouldn't know since I don't have either of them) they could output too much voltage to the phone, it must be chirping and not charging to indicate that. Maybe.

Kelowna77

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Seems like it's a safety feature. Probably added with iOS 11 since the newer phones have wireless charging. If third party charging pads work with the iPhone 8 and X (I wouldn't know since I don't have either of them) they could output too much voltage to the phone, it must be chirping and not charging to indicate that. Maybe.

It happened with both the belkin charging pad (same one sold in the Apple store) and with the cable plug in. But only in the top plug in the wall outlet. Whatever it is, I’m glad it was there.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
It happened with both the belkin charging pad (same one sold in the Apple store) and with the cable plug in. But only in the top plug in the wall outlet. Whatever it is, I’m glad it was there.
Your wall outlets might be putting out too much energy, since your car and portable charger both worked for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.