Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Yesterday I have changed my ups battery due to a fault.

After powering up my nMP (6core - 2x D700 GPU) it showed a strange flickering effect on the bottom of the monitor (Asus PB278Q via hdmi) and than something like (it's not the real image, I have found it on the net for example and show):

8306r.png

After powering it off and on again and after an apple hardware test no more problem at all.

The nMP has worked like a charm without problem for months. And now is working very fine in all the application I use (FCPX, DaVinci, LR, Photoshop, Modo).

Have to be alarmed about? A GPU fault?

The nMP is covered by apple GPU program (although I never had a GPU hang problem at all) and it also covered by warranty until June 2018.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
That sure looks like a GPU fault to me.

However, I've seen similar "snow" affect from bad GPU cable, so if you have a spare cable I'd try that first. If that doesn't fix it, then AppleCare it is.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
That sure looks like a GPU fault to me.

However, I've seen similar "snow" affect from bad GPU cable, so if you have a spare cable I'd try that first. If that doesn't fix it, then AppleCare it is.

Thank you very much. I will try a new cable first.

As the GPUs are covered by Apple recall program until may 2018 I think.

Have to say that I saw it only once and never seen it again. So could be faulty cable.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Thank you very much. I will try a new cable first.

As the GPUs are covered by Apple recall program until may 2018 I think.

Have to say that I saw it only once and never seen it again. So could be faulty cable.

Intermittent problems can be a bear to have fixed. I had a fan with intermittent knocking noise but AppleCare couldn't replicate in house so they refused to replace it.

Hopefully in your case this was just a one time glitch, but I'd make a note of it in case an historical log ends up being useful.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Found the problem. It happened again today. It's the cable slightly moved by the cleaning woman. In fact she come every monday and the latest time I have powered the macpro (on tuesday) had the problem. Now solved :)

Reactions: ixxx69

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Found the problem. It happened again today. It's the cable slightly moved by the cleaning woman. In fact she come every monday and the latest time I have powered the macpro (on tuesday) had the problem. Now solved :)
Happy to hear you solved it. Please put "RESOLVED" in the title of your thread, so other users will be reassured. It is the usual procedure for solved problems in this forum. Regards. Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.